am2

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pkonrad

Reaction score
hi im looking more help on the am2. was wanting to know how you test the rcd without triping it. and to you test the motor like any other light etc. also the landlord how you connect it and what exactly does it do. and how do you get your three phases to the motor.

thanks i had a read at that but it doesnt say a bout the motor or the testing rcd. for the motor i would think you bring your three phases to the contactor then use 1 for the control circuit but im not sure if this is how you do it

thanks i had a read at that but it doesnt say a bout the motor or the testing rcd. for the motor i would think you bring your three phases to the contactor then use 1 for the control circuit but im not sure if this is how you do it
testing an RCD without tripping it? thats a new one.

you take 3 phase & neutral to contactor box.

I think he must mean the 1/2 test.

Basically saw your RCD is rated 30mA. Set your rcd tester to that. and select the 1/2 function. Then test rcd on both 0degree and 180degree cycles. Both times it should reach 2000ms (2seconds) without tripping.

i actually meant the earth loop test, i 4got the most important detail

the earth loop tester should have d-loc on it so shouldnt trip the rcd. If it does then I'd say take the cover off and put the probes on the terminals behind.

I think all you have to do is an installtion resistance test on the rcd socket, but its upto the chap who is moderating you he pics a number of tests for u to do on the circuits.

hi im looking more help on the am2. was wanting to know how you test the rcd without triping it. and to you test the motor like any other light etc. also the landlord how you connect it and what exactly does it do. and how do you get your three phases to the motor.
I took the AM2 test last week, not sure how I got on really. You don't have to loop test the SRCD, you only have to use an RCD tester to make sure it trips in a decent time. Remember to set your tester to 30ma, and test half times, 1x and 5x.

Please please remember to do the following on your INSULATION tests:

1) Disconnect your SRCD

2) Remove your bulkhead ES lamp

3) Disconnect your emergency luminare click coupler headbang

4) Disconnect the RCBO's flying CPC and Neutral from the distributuon board supplying the ring sockets headbang

I forgot the last 2. oops. Rest of testing was good though. My examiner told me not to worry about disconnecting neons which I thought was weird, but I did tell him that the on site guide told me to, he said don't bother.

To test the motor, you need to do an Insulation test between dist board and motor controller and then controller to motor, just remember to disconnect at the four points - 1) Dist board, 2) Isolator supply, 3)Contactor output, 4)Motor terminals. To test your CPC continuity on the motor, simply connect your lead to the CPC bar in the dist board and then to the CPC terminal in the motor.

I wish you all the best, it's not as easy as people make out, especially when youre stressed, but take your time and make use of the on suite guide and guidance note 3 which you are supplied. Good Luck

Latest posts