Amazing OLD lighting

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ecasam

Reaction score
This was still in service, at a recent EICR I did. Oldest I have seen, just wanted to share.

Metal conduit not in good order and all metal fittings :facepalm: .

DSC08300.JPG

DSC08318.JPG

DSC08287.JPG

DSC08364.JPG

DSC08375.JPG

DSC08323.JPG

DSC08383.JPG

I see its using the old wooden trunking /capping  too ............things have certainly changed . 

I won't say it....

Very nice ol stuff, I have no idea what anything does :C

Is that a MEM porcelain isolator? another great material that is underused, I'm pretty sure a porcelain consumer unit wouldn't spontaneously combust! :slap

I never understand the point in EICR'ing this stuff?? 

Save your money... It's rubber ducked! Get a rewire done ASAP!

OMG !  Yes !!   Those plastic boards are frightening .   A wooden Wylex would have matched up nicely with the casing /caping  & wooden switch pattresses .   They used to burst into flames on a daily basis ..............not. 

So that install must be "Satisfactory"  as the board is'nt plastic.

Did it end up on a visual or did we get the tester instrument  out and delv Into it. 

I did not disturb any part of the lighting. The wooden trunking was throughout and very neat, great job.

Sockets had been rewired and were on a Crabtree Plastic CU.

FULL REWIRE :B- .  

The modern equivalent is a bit... how do I put this.....

Gash! :lol:

DL3D30QSOSA.JPG

good idea though :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Is that a MEM porcelain isolator? another great material that is underused, I'm pretty sure a porcelain consumer unit wouldn't spontaneously combust!

Its an isolator & a DP fuse. If you pull the central knob then the middle porcelain section comes out towards you (until it reaches a stop) - forming the 'isolator' bit. If you now unscrew the knob the central piece can be completely removed, revealing the fuse wire underneath.

I've only over seen one of these, back in the late 1970s.

Adrian