Amendment 2

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steven Haynes

Reaction score
Good morning All, this is my first thread EVER.
I need to get my 18th Edition. The last time I sat a course it was for 17th Edition.
  1. I have the blue 18th Edition book. Can I just buy the the amendment or do I need the whole book?
  2. Any recommendations for the most cost effective way of getting up to date?

Good morning All, this is my first thread EVER.
I need to get my 18th Edition. The last time I sat a course it was for 17th Edition.
  1. I have the blue 18th Edition book. Can I just buy the the amendment or do I need the whole book?
  2. Any recommendations for the most cost effective way of getting up to date?

Amendment 1 was was downloadable.... But AFAIK amendment 2 is time to buy a Brown Book!!

As also mentioned you will probably need to get a formal 18th edition C&G qualification?

My 17th edition C&G certificate dates back to April 2008..
And I finally got round to doing my 18th edition in November 2022...

So I guess at a 14 year interval it it not that unreasonable to expect a contractor working within the electrical industry, to keep their qualifications up-to-date, to ensure they know what they are doing is compliant with current regs?

Numerous on-line or physical classroom type providers out there if you have a quick google-search..
Assuming you are not a complete plonker...
and can get your head back into the way C&G write some of their questions, (e.g. double negatives to trip you up.), Then it should be no problem!

🍺

Amd2 was such a large change it was deemed impractical to release it as just a download able Ammendment.

Let's see what Amd3 brings as it's currently being worked on.

Amd2 was such a large change it was deemed impractical to release it as just a download able Ammendment.

Let's see what Amd3 brings as it's currently being worked on.

AMD 3 will bring about a few minor changes that could be free download AND enough tinkering to justify new books

Fortunately for me early retirement will mean I won’t do it - thank God

Really. AMD 2 should have been delayed to accommodate them.

The AMDs happen far too often
The amendments are as often now as they always have been if you actually look at the publication dates of all the previous books.
Unfortunately, the schedule is dictated in part by our membership of the IEC.
It will be a few years until the next AMD, so it won't be next year, for example.

AMD 3 will bring about a few minor changes that could be free download AND enough tinkering to justify new books

Fortunately for me early retirement will mean I won’t do it - thank God
Yes i agree with you, its all about making money now. The SJIB and select is all about making money ,to pay for nice offices at the walled garden in midlothian .They are lumping more courses on ,under the premise for a better industry !!! Have you seen some of the new qualified apprentices, they could'nt put a nut in a monkeys mouth .
I've just retired 2 years now, and i loved my trade ,sat & passed my 235C (technicians ) course 1980's before they pulled it as too many students failing it .
They are making up courses /Amd's etc .Its like getting a new car and you have to resit your driving test !!!
The government is trying to get retired people back into work ,dismantle the monopoly SJIB/Select might help.
Bring back Jimmy Hoffa at least the teamsters were making money ,not creaming it off the top.
Self employed electricians will tell them to ram it soon ,as it is a racket .
Ps I was fortunate to be able to have retired at 60 due to my union, being able to negotiate a good pension plan .All the SJIB ever did for me was take my money for a plastic card .

Latest posts