Dodgy crooked electrician

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Apl199

Reaction score
I am a 33 year old electrical improver and aspiring electrician. I have completed my level 3 electrical installations and 18th edition a couple of years ago. I’ve been struggling to find work with my limited experience.

An electrical contractor got back to me and gave me work ‘off the books’ on site in exchange a day rate of £60 and experience. The agreement was to work side by side with this guy to build my nvq portfolio.

However, he took the piss from the beginning. I mostly worked 12+ hour days with his apprentice and a hvac contractor carrying out a first fix. No lead electrician, just us winging it while the main guy stayed in his van chilling. I mostly did coring and chasing and had to buy my own ppe. So no portfolio work could be completed. Had my tools stolen from my toolbox from one of his scumbags.

I give up working for these crooks. There must be another way to get the experience i need without becoming an apprentice and starting from ground zero.

Get on the books with temp staff agencies, they are always after electricians to rent out, and having worked with a few on a large job a few years ago, the competition is pretty ropey. One guy was basically drinking vodka all day from a water bottle 🤦‍♀️. He stank of alcohol in the morning, and the stink got stronger as the day went on..despite working in a field of solar panels 😃