An 8 Week Wonder On Tv

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evans Electric

TEF LINUX ADMIN™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
On "The Chase "  the other day  40 yr old  contestant answers quizmaster by saying " I'm an electrician Bradley"  

"Ah   lot of training invloved with that then "  ( or similar)  says Bradley.

" Nah  just 8 weeks an' thats it Mate"

Don't know why but it grated with me , 8 weeks,  I suppose could get you through a basic C&G s   but are you an electrician after that ?  

I was about to say why doesn't the NIC/ECA/ IEE  and all the rest  raise this in the right earlobes , because in a short period , the 8WWs will be the mainstay of the industry.   But I know they won't .

Last edited by a moderator:
Part p + 17th ed used to get you in the NIC! thank fork they changed that! But I still get jobs via email as low as £9p/h so there's still a market for them.
They've changed that? Oh yes, silly me, you don't even need the part-pee now.

So lets see, any Thomas, Richard or Harriet can sit a 2 hour, open book exam ( so thats anyone who can reference will pass) and join NIC. LOB aint it?

NVQ3 (Domestic) required if you dont have a level 3 full technical qualification.

Andy Guinness
Not when I rang them to enquire. When I asked the guy what I needed to join he said "What have you got?"

" Ok, Ive got the 17th edition, Ive got the..."Ill stop you there" he says, "you've got the 17th, that's enough"

This was last year though to be fair, maybe in that time they've got their act together?

Or maybe not :)

There is NO requirement for an NVQ Level 3 (or equivalent) in installation purely and simply because the Schemes are not geared up to make money out of courses that exceed a few days. 

Less than 20% of SCHEME assessed individuals have any installation training or qualifications - when you take into account those having undergone self-assessment by their QS the figure is way lower.

Strangely enough, the scams seem unwilling to discuss such matters in public, even in front of a select committee ....

There is NO requirement for an NVQ Level 3 (or equivalent) in installation purely and simply because the Schemes are not geared up to make money out of courses that exceed a few days. 

Less than 20% of SCHEME assessed individuals have any installation training or qualifications - when you take into account those having undergone self-assessment by their QS the figure is way lower.

Strangely enough, the scams seem unwilling to discuss such matters in public, even in front of a select committee ....
Unlike the the ESC who will speak....but seem to have great trouble understanding what they are being asked...(while turning a funny shade of red)  :pmsl:

Last edited by a moderator: