An end to MCS dominance in the solar PV market? (self declared exports now available)

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
That’s interesting that Octopus are saying anybody can connect anything to the grid .:::
It has always been the case that you can connect micro generation to the grid. you have to notify the DNO and they have never insisted on any MCS paperwork.

What has now changed, is of you wanted to be paid the SEG payment for export, you had to provide MCS paperwork to your energy supplier. That is the bit that has changed. Octopus have dropped that requirement. So people like me could now get paid for export from a non MCS solar PV system.

You still have to have a smart meter, so I will stick with self use instead.

Ahhh, so they have finally realised there's shed loads of self installs that they could be getting the leccy from to sell for a profit

But I believe Octopus are hedging their bets slightly by saying you can apply to be on a waiting list to be considered for export.

It is something that needs to happen if the industry is to move forward and encourage more installs

It is something that needs to happen if the industry is to move forward and encourage more installs
it was alwasy the government's intention (Blair) that solar just become regular electrical work. The FiT was designed to get the industry going with a view to bringing costs down, which it has, and MCS was suppossed to shut cowboys out, which it didn't, but probably stopped a few bad installations.

it was alwasy the government's intention (Blair) that solar just become regular electrical work.
Unfortunately the costs involved with the must be MCS means that solar must be a major earning stream and therefore precludes contractors that are likely to be doing occassional installs
The FiT was designed to get the industry going with a view to bringing costs down, which it has,
Until the FiT was changed / revised it IMO had the opposite effect of keeping prices high as everyone from manufacturer through to installer all wanted to make their %age of the 25 years of returns
and MCS was suppossed to shut cowboys out, which it didn't, but probably stopped a few bad installations.
Given the small amout of installations externally assessed it is difficult to nigh on impossible to weed out the cowboys, even the companies that look reputable have their failings

The trouble is once started a lot of these overseeing organisations expand their horizons to prevent their demise and actually just become a money making venture and lose sight of their original remit

I really hope this is true and others follow suit. I've recently done my first 3 installs that have all been to a high standard. But as I'm not MCS and refuse to pay there fees and all the BS paper work that comes with it. Until now I've informed customers they can't claim SEG but hopefully now I can.
I've had the protection engineer from SSE inspect my first 3 installs and he said over 50% of MCS installs he inspects are sub standard.

Hi Im new to the forum and was interested in this thread. I contacted Octopus to see what was required in the way of evidence and hoops to go through to self certify with out MCS cert. Response from Octopus is below:
Regarding your question about joining Flux without MCS certification, we do have alternative routes for customers who have installed their own solar panels and battery systems. We would need to see evidence of the installation, such as receipts for the equipment and installation costs, as well as any relevant certifications or qualifications you may have.

If you could provide us with this information, we can assess your eligibility for the Flux tariff. You can sign up for Flux on our website.
I have answered their questions, now waiting to see how they respond.

Thought this may be of interest.

I also asked Octopus how this would work... Tried twice by email but had no reply so sent them a message on twitter... Specifically, "How do i sign up for the SEG tariff, your contact form still requires an MCS certificate"

We don't currently accept export customers without an MCS certificate, but we're in the very earliest stages of trialling a solution for non-MCS customers. If you'd like to hear when this is available, pop your name down here: https://octopus.typeform.com/to/UAbK9bRq

If you visit the sign up form you'll see this message...

Having an MCS certified installation with DNO approval is the quickest and most certain way of getting access to our export tariffs. If you do not have an MCS certified installation we are trialling a new review process and may decide not to accept you (there is also a £250 charge). You can register your interest here.

I guess we'll have to wait for the details but on the SEG tariff you currently get 4.1p/kW... So you'll need to export over 610kW to break even.

Hopefully they don't expect to keep the £250 if you're not accepted

Yes I am hearing reports from other places that this is not "live" yet. The idea of paying £250 to apply is a BIG turn off for me.

It was a nice thought but it seems we are not there yet.

To be fair I'm in my first year but have already exported 1300kW so if I'd had this from the start I'd have made £250 after paying the fees.....given how much I saved doing the install myself and from having the system it's not a bad investment.

To be fair I'm in my first year but have already exported 1300kW so if I'd had this from the start I'd have made £250 after paying the fees.....given how much I saved doing the install myself and from having the system it's not a bad investment.
I am in my 5th year and have exported 370kWh in total.

Self using near 100% is king.

Absolutely!! I'm thinking of getting a hot tub to use some more up 😆
No need, just dumping excess to your immersion heater with a diverter takes care of almost all the surplus. The small export is when the inverter is running at full chat 3.68kW and the immersion can only sink just under 3kW if there is nothing else in the house using power.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts