Another computer query ...sorry

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One would assume that if the the OS is consuming more processing and ram that this would cause more thermal strain on the components in the motherboard. 

My experience tells me that all laptops lettuced out soon or later depending on how much you originally spent.

My laptops of recent times.

Asus 2 years little abuse £300?

Sony 3 years of abuse £900?

Apple 4 years lots of abuse and still counting £1200?

Coincidence.

:C

This post is left intentionally blank

Last edited by a moderator:
Coincidence.

Yes.

Unfortunately I'm of the generation that thinks stuff should last forever

This is not all that uncommon really, but I get called to loads of stuff that is past its best at 5 years old. The thing is though, you could get one that will last for years but it will cost 3x what one that last 3-5 years will cost so you're not really gaining anything.

I have just bought a reasonably decent laptop for around £400. It'll last a few years no doubt, but by that time you would usually find other issues with new technology being more prevalent etc so it is sometimes worth buying stuff with an eye on binnig it and upgrading anyway in a few years.

.does anyone think that by upgrading my Dell laptop  from Win7 to Win10  could have caused to motherboard to carp out or is it just coincidence? 

Coincidence, although there is also some truth in what @Blue Duck says about increased thermal stress in components etc, but probably not enough to say that it was a major contributing factor.

One would assume that if the the OS is consuming more processing and ram that this would cause more thermal strain on the components in the motherboard. 

My experience tells me that all laptops lettuced out soon or later depending on how much you originally spent.

My laptops of recent times.

Asus 2 years little abuse £300?

Sony 3 years of abuse £900?

Apple 4 years lots of abuse and still counting £1200?

Coincidence.

:C
Those "dead" laptops.....have you tried booting from a Linux Live USB or disc? Do they switch on /any screen life? I've saved a couple like that where Windows was corrupt and they had been stufed in the bottom of the wardrobe.

Asus died the classic duvet + 3d games = meltdown then the charger port broke replaced it broke again then the keyboard died.

the Sony was an inverter problem had it fixed a few times then the keyboard went then the inverter finally went and I stripped it & gave the hard disk to steptoe.

mac book is still going although am having problems with WiFi as it's been dropped so many times the screen is loose. :(

Asus, the bane of my life! Boy's 17.3" laptop went tits up! Had a professional reflow for I think £160 it was. 2 days after the 90 day warranty it died again.

At least you can put Ubuntu on the MacBook when you're ready! :)

Asus total utter complete cheapo rubbish.

The Sony I used for DJ'ing It went to clubs, raves and house parties, did well concidering!

It was beer on the keyboard that finally killed it, least I think it was? 

The Asus was just used at home, couldn't hack the DJ life so I just used to play age of empires when I was hungover.

It really didn't last long enough. :(

think my dad still has a Toshiba laptop - must be 10 years old, just ripe for Ubuntu. ;)

I was still running until recently a busted up old Dell Lattitude e510 with W2K on it! The thing's bomb proof. Been dropped about 6' snapping a USB stick off in it and ruining the port. And it still ran for years. The battery died years ago and the fan doesn't work. Only just retired it, bought another for £25 and simply swapped the HDD over.

Ahhh win 2k, the only one that worked properly.

I have a dell desktop in the loft that has lasted 10+ years, admittedly It had a few modifications and was overclocked but it was still going strong when it was forced into retirement by the Mrs not wanting that thing in the corner.

:)

Latest posts