Another growatt question

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TerryD

Reaction score
I'm new here and I have a practical elecrician and technical background although now long retired. However I'm new to the use of a battery to harvest power from my domestic solar array. I've just had a growatt inverter and 6.5kWh battery installed (now that prices are becoming sensible!) and charge to 100% overnight from Midnight to 2:30 as I have Economy 7 with good night rates.
I also have an Air Source Heat pump for heating and hot water (the latter with a supplementary immersion heater for Legionella protection). my question is that I would like to run the hot water and heating during the latter part of the 7 hr period to take advantage of the low tariff, but I assume in my ignorance that the current draw will be from the battery and will drain it reducing it's effectiveness during the daytime, especially looking to autumn and winter low daily solar charging. Can I get around this by setting a second charging period for the battery forcing the power for heating etc to be drawn from the grid - or is that naive of me and should I use other methods to achieve my aim.
I'd really be grateful for any advice offered.
Regards
TerryD

Split from hi-jacked thread to avoid confusion

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi john,
I'm new here and I have a practical elecrician and technical background although now long retired. However I'm new to the use of a battery to harvest power from my domestic solar array. I've just had a growatt inverter and 6.5kWh battery installed (now that prices are becoming sensible!) and charge to 100% overnight from Midnight to 2:30 as I have Economy 7 with good night rates.
I also have an Air Source Heat pump for heating and hot water (the latter with a supplementary immersion heater for Legionella protection). my question is that I would like to run the hot water and heating during the latter part of the 7 hr period to take advantage of the low tariff, but I assume in my ignorance that the current draw will be from the battery and will drain it reducing it's effectiveness during the daytime, especially looking to autumn and winter low daily solar charging. Can I get around this by setting a second charging period for the battery forcing the power for heating etc to be drawn from the grid - or is that naive of me and should I use other methods to achieve my aim.
I'd really be grateful for any advice offered.
Regards
TerryD
Hi Terry,

Just set the Growatt to charge from midnight to 07:00 if thats your E7 time, set the heat pump to be on any time during that window and all of the energy will come from the grid. The Growatt battery will only start to feed your loads when the charging time stops i.e. 07:00

Hi Terry,
Just set the Growatt to charge from midnight to 07:00 if thats your E7 time, set the heat pump to be on any time during that window and all of the energy will come from the grid. The Growatt battery will only start to feed your loads when the charging time stops i.e. 07:00
Hi John Many thanks for the advice confirming more or less what I thought. However I have another problem now. Neither Desktop nor phone app will let me change the times I have already set for the charge times in E7, I just get a "set parameter failure" on the desktop and "system error" message on ShinePhone when resetting. Am I missing something?
Regards

TerryD

Hi Terry,

Hi John Many thanks for the advice confirming more or less what I thought. However I have another problem now. Neither Desktop nor phone app will let me change the times I have already set for the charge times in E7, I just get a "set parameter failure" on the desktop and "system error" message on ShinePhone when resetting. Am I missing something?
Regards

TerryD
The only thing I can think of is either the time format is incorrect or the value invalid or the password is wrong. Make sure you remove completely the current timeslot digits, on my system some of the number are only partially visible and I can easily end up withy 210:59, 21:389 in times.

Make sure that you are using the correct password for the settings panel and not the one used to sign in to either the Growatt web page or the ShinePhone app.
The settings password is growatt202310007 for changes made today, i.e. growattyyyymmdd and changes each day.
Personally I find the web page easier to manage for changes to settings than the ShinePhone app.
Steve

The only thing I can think of is either the time format is incorrect or the value invalid or the password is wrong. Make sure you remove completely the current timeslot digits, on my system some of the number are only partially visible and I can easily end up withy 210:59, 21:389 in times.
Hi John,
Thanks for the gracious reply, I did check all I could - passwords, time, figures in boxes etc but to no avail. I had seen a reply to a similar problem on another forum (ok - I was desperate!) that said the writer had tried and tried and was eventually successful, so much to my wife's annoyance (joking) I tried one more time before we left for a prearranged meeting and lo and behold, after 2 days of trying the damn thing worked and I didn't do anything different. Perhaps there was a glitch at the Growatt servers perhaps, but once again , thanks for your input but I'm ok for now. But as Arnie said ominously "I'll be Back",

Best regards, have a great weekend

TerryD
Make sure that you are using the correct password for the settings panel and not the one used to sign in to either the Growatt web page or the ShinePhone app.
The settings password is growatt202310007 for changes made today, i.e. growattyyyymmdd and changes each day.
Personally I find the web page easier to manage for changes to settings than the ShinePhone app.
Steve
Hi droyls, Thanks for the effort made to reply. I did actually have the correct password and settings, and usaed the desktop application in a browser but still got error messages.
For future reference it appears that the problem seemed to be in communication with the server. In fustration when setting I eventually just closed the error message and kept trying to change saettings in the same panel and eventually after about 5 attempts it was successful. I have since tested it again and I got the same problem and eventually the same successful outcome. Why, I'm not sure as I have a fast fibre connection and use a good quality cat cable to connect my pc to my router so no wifi.
Regards for a good weekend
TerryD