Ariston 15 lux water heater

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimsparks

Reaction score
Good evening all,

Could someone just clarify the regs regarding water heaters. I have quoted to fit this by run new 4mm radial on 20 amp rcbo. The customer has now come back saying it only draws 9 amps so why cannot it come off ring. I have stated that any water heater 15 litres or over needs to be on dedicated circuit from Osg. Am I correct or overthinking it a little, would sparks put this size on ring depending on current loading. I have never fitted one below 3kw and that needs its own circuit anyway. Going back in morning to discuss it and would like to use regs as clarification.
thanks

I've never seen a dedicated cct for such a heater, although I would suggest it needs a fused spur rather than a plug. I think you are getting confused with immersion heaters which have a far larger pull on power.

Unless the OSG cites a Regulation then it holds no value. BS7671 is the place to look not the OSG. Regulations do state a plug and socket outlet should not be employed it must be permanently connected through a linked double pole switch.

Why? What's wrong with 1.5mm on a 10 a RCBO.
Nothing providing installation methods and volt drop satisfy. Why the rcbo when you dont know installation requirements better to state protective device.

I have quoted to fit this by run new 4mm radial on 20 amp rcbo.
I have never fitted one below 3kw and that needs its own circuit anyway.

Is this a very very long run that makes you think 4.0mm is needed?

You didn't actually state the power rating of the heater you refer to?
https://www.ariston.com/en-uk/produ...electric-storage-water-heaters/andris-lux-uk/
(There are different size units?)

Nor, what the regs are that you would think are applicable in this case?
Have you looked at the manufactures suggested installation instructions as part of your circuit design?

Whilst I would understand a DIY having confusion about what is needed..
I would expect anyone who is charging a customer for their time, knowledge, expertise, etc..
To offer a bit more background to their design reasoning.

Rather than, can someone please tell me a few regs that I can quote to my prospective customer?

(As a side note:- I suspect there is some over-thinking / mis-informed thinking going on)

please feedback a bit more info so we can provide more comprehensive and accurate replies?
🍺