Armeg 12 Days of Christmas giveaway

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Aside from a lot of people being misinformed on speeds they should be drilling there are a couple of factors to bare in mind:

• Most battery or even corded drill wont have a setting to run slow enough (Without feathering the trigger). I'm no expert in metallurgy but could an alloy be designed to run at normal battery drill speeds? I realise this is probably impossible due to hardening effects of material being drilled, stainless is a great example.  (I also guess if it was designed, sales would drop as the bits would last a whole lot longer)
Rob, you're right about most readily available battery drills having incorrect speeds to run metal drills properly. Alternatives involve investment unfortunately which some people will see far outweighs replacing drill bits.

There are some battery drills out there with speed ranges that are more geared towards engineering tasks. Also I know of one power tool company that have tools that have Bluetooth connectivity meaning that the rotational speed can be set more accurately using an app :innocent

Regarding designing hole saws that are capable of running at faster speeds, it might be worth looking at these

http://www.armeg.com/LDX-Metal-Carbide-Tipped-Holesaws

These are carbide tipped holesaws for massively longer life over conventional holesaws. The recommended speed for a 20mm in mild steel is about 700 RPM so you're not going to kill it on first speed range of a battery drill. In independent tests in 2mm thick stainless steel they were producing 350 holes so life is good too.

Rob, you're right about most readily available battery drills having incorrect speeds to run metal drills properly. Alternatives involve investment unfortunately which some people will see far outweighs replacing drill bits.

There are some battery drills out there with speed ranges that are more geared towards engineering tasks. Also I know of one power tool company that have tools that have Bluetooth connectivity meaning that the rotational speed can be set more accurately using an app :innocent

Regarding designing hole saws that are capable of running at faster speeds, it might be worth looking at these

http://www.armeg.com/LDX-Metal-Carbide-Tipped-Holesaws

These are carbide tipped holesaws for massively longer life over conventional holesaws. The recommended speed for a 20mm in mild steel is about 700 RPM so you're not going to kill it on first speed range of a battery drill. In independent tests in 2mm thick stainless steel they were producing 350 holes so life is good too.

Christ, don't let the tool tarts hear about that! You'll be the cause of divorces!

An i'll certainly bare that in mind, although our workshop lads have a nice shiny hydraulic punch to go through the panels with now. So the hole saws have been set to one side for site work only. 

It's very well you gloating Barx but it wasn't an even playing field, marketing still haven't been on to tell us their progress, so I guess the non social media peeps will still be without hope!

our other sponsors are offering nothing that I'm aware off in way of comps before Christmas discount the Voltimum advent.?

I'm not bitter or jealous in anyway you understand. Just hurt that I couldn't participate. 

Last edited by a moderator:
It's very well you gloating Barx but it wasn't an even playing field, marketing still haven't been on to tell us their progress, so I guess the non social media peeps will still be without hope!

our other sponsors are offering nothing that I'm aware off in way of comps before Christmas discount the Voltimum advent.?

I'm not bitter or jealous in anyway you understand. Just hurt that I couldn't participate. 
There is a competition in the pipeline just for the forum. I'll post it before Christmas but the prize will have to be sent in the new year.

Do you think if I posted a link to it on Twitter some of our followers would complain that they can't enter because they're not forum members? ;)

Phil.