Auto electrics !!! ....Auto electrics!..... Don't talk to me about Auto Electrics !!

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evans Electric

TEF LINUX ADMIN™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It starts with the Missus saying , R/H stop light doesn't work on her car . Seems simple enough. ROTFWL

So find 3 of them in garage , quick test on 12V tester thing on bench , they work.

Remove rear cluster ,try lamp , No go, try all lamps , no go . Just the 5W filaments.

Insert 12V tester to lampholder , switch on ignition, press brake pedal with stick. No go .

Get handbook ,brake lights on fuse 54 , Great ....OooH no fuse 54. Start yanking them all out , find a blown one in "Unused" Start car with intent to go and buy some fuses , gear stick is locked in Park because break light circuit is dead and pedal must be pushed to move gear stick .

From then on it just got worse and I'll be back later .

By far the most common fault on car electrics is a corroded earth connection. Try adding a jumper to chassis somewhere.

It starts with the Missus saying , R/H stop light doesn't work on her car . Seems simple enough. ROTFWL So find 3 of them in garage , quick test on 12V tester thing on bench , they work.

Remove rear cluster ,try lamp , No go, try all lamps , no go . Just the 5W filaments.

Insert 12V tester to lampholder , switch on ignition, press brake pedal with stick. No go .

Get handbook ,brake lights on fuse 54 , Great ....OooH no fuse 54. Start yanking them all out , find a blown one in "Unused" Start car with intent to go and buy some fuses , gear stick is locked in Park because break light circuit is dead and pedal must be pushed to move gear stick .

From then on it just got worse and I'll be back later .
Have a look at the brake light switch...............

Maybe I should rephrase that. :D How about jump-lead? Better not say bonding strap, that could get me into all sorts of trouble. :)

Have a look at the brake light switch...............
Brake light switch !!!....Brake light switch! .... Don't talk to me about brake pedal switch !!!

I replaced said fuse after fetching some 7A , still not working . So rig a light to see the pedals , lie upside down with back arched over door sill , the sun beating down and find the pedal switch . Lever off the circlip that holds the cable plug, which flies off at 200 MPH never to be seen again .

At this point , from one brake light not working has increased to all three plus R/H side lights not working . Anyway remove pedal switch with intent to short it out to see if b/lights come on , but theres no feed to it . Test switch , working fine N/C .

So I now have no brake lights , no side lights on R/H side and gearstick is stuck in Park and no ignition.

Start yanking more fuses out ( there are 61 in all !!!!!) avoiding the Engine Management ones and theres blown 15A in an "Unused " location . So another trip for more fuses , fit Pedal switch ...the sun is still beating down ....everything back on except the offending break light , swop with other one and it works , so does other one , swop them back and it doesn't work neither does third lamp but they work in other side .

Hurl both lamps as far as I can and fetch new one , all lights working , engine starts , press brake pedal , gearstick moves to N .

Neighbour strolls over and says "Thought you're s'posed t' be a Sparks ?"

Last edited by a moderator:
Brake light switch !!!....Brake light switch! .... Don't talk to me about brake pedal switch !!! I replaced said fuse after fetching some 7A , still not working . So rig a light to see the pedals , lie upside down with back arched over door sill , the sun beating down and find the pedal switch . Lever off the circlip that holds the cable plug, which flies off at 200 MPH never to be seen again .

At this point , from one brake light not working has increased to all three plus R/H side lights not working . Anyway remove pedal switch with intent to short it out to see if b/lights come on , but theres no feed to it . Test switch , working fine N/C .

So I now have no brake lights , no side lights on R/H side and gearstick is stuck in Park and no ignition.

Start yanking more fuses out ( there are 61 in all !!!!!) avoiding the Engine Management ones and theres blown 15A in an "Unused " location . So another trip for more fuses , fit Pedal switch ...the sun is still beating down ....everything back on except the offending break light , swop with other one and it works , so does other one , swop them back and it doesn't work neither does third lamp but they work in other side .

Hurl both lamps as far as I can and fetch new one , all lights working , engine starts , press brake pedal , gearstick moves to N .

Neighbour strolls over and says "Thought you're s'posed t' be a Sparks ?"
:red cardbad day explode:slap

:slap Sorry, but it just sounds like when I start something on the car too.

Nice to know its not just me.
Sounds like every job i start in the house nevermind the car! although i have a slight issue with a douchebag DIY superhero in the flat above at the moment so far hes caved my bathroom ceiling in and now his bog waste pipe is leaking down my outside wall....wondered the reason for the damp coming in the corner bad day explode

Its sorted now . Problem was a combination of the following (excuses) , but not necessarily in that order:-

1) I was hot & sticky and didn't want to be doing it once I saw it was not simply change the lamp.

2) I had to dig out one of those silly shaped doo-dahs to fit the stupid screw heads in the light cluster.

3) I'd blown the fuse shoving my tester in the lampholder .

4) I then must have blown the sidelights fuse too , being hamfisted.

5) The fuses were not on the numbers indicated in the Ford book.

6) The real problem ,which I should have checked at the start was that the lamps from my garage, although working , had been there since my MK5 Cortina and there was a degree of oxidisation on the solder pips of the lamp , although the 5W worked . A simple scrape to give a shiny surface and , voila !! all working .

A lesson in not checking the Bleedin' Obvious first I think!! :| :shakehead :coat

I had a similar problem with my reverse light on focus replaced lamp holder still not work so got a new switch on gear box still not work turn out to be fuse like you said it's the obvious but the fuse was ok in box but weather was hot and forgot about dc reading ground on other circuits all fine now

Timgdean , is that one of the Ford Forums where you have to pay for the advice . I went on one with a problem on my van , a reply appears saying ," I know exactly what you need to do " I thought great , its just like our Forum, you go to the link and it tells you get your credit card ready.

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 00:54 ---------- Previous post was made at 00:50 ----------

Another thing I noticed while pharting about . The main fuseboard is behind the glove box , which drops down , the glove box light now illuminates the fuseboard , nice ! Thing is I pulled 3 different fuses and that light went out each time !!! Auto electrics eh !! Wierd !!

nope both links are free :) .The wiki has stacks of info and comon faq's and talkford.com for other items.just ask on there and somone is bound to help out.

t.

Latest posts