Automatic Gates cable question

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hmmm.... In that last picture I'm seeing what looks like plastic stuffing glands in that galv box. Assuming the cable is SWA as it should to be in that environment, how has the armour been dealt with?

My other concern would be what is the earthing arrangement? Gate posts are obviously set into the ground and outside the equipotential zone of the property. How is the house earthed, if it's TNC-S, has this issue been addressed? Might need a local earth rod and separation of CPC from the house system.

Hmmm.... In that last picture I'm seeing what looks like plastic stuffing glands in that galv box. Assuming the cable is SWA as it should to be in that environment, how has the armour been dealt with?

My other concern would be what is the earthing arrangement? Gate posts are obviously set into the ground and outside the equipotential zone of the property. How is the house earthed, if it's TNC-S, has this issue been addressed? Might need a local earth rod and separation of CPC from the house system.

yes, i did notice that too. so whats the real story here. there is more to this youre not saying.

That does look like a PVC  stuffing gland  ....perhaps its not SWA  cable   :C    ...even better .   The original bloke  appears to be a chancer  who was happy to walk off  as if it happens often .  

A lot of what you're saying in regards to earthing and wiring, is way over my head. I'm not even slightly experienced in this field, which is why I'm prepared to trust and pay someone to do it for me.

I'm glad you all agree there's issues though, I've since had three people come and give me quotes and all of them said they'd basically have to start again, which I certainly expected.

The original bloke only turned tail when I mentioned an electrician was coming to have a look at what he'd done, And based on what you're all saying, that does make sense.

If be more concerned about the true depth of that power cable going under your drive, it looks really shallow and the stones don’t look disturbed so he’s got it over there either in an existing shallow duct or he’s smashed a cobra across until he’s made a route through, not good.

At the end of the day the cabling being revealed the way it is, if you didn’t ask for it to be hidden within the wall then You probably shouldn’t have expected it to be hidden, every person us a different way of doing things, he might know for instance that your pillar is a single skin with steel centre so probably not drill able without the brickwork getting wrecked. 

Ive just installed a Hik intercom last week and my customer didn’t even know I’d cabled it, floor up, trench dug, duct laid and back filled and stones relaid, cables enter in through the metal work, you’d never know it wasn’t original, but I charge a fortune! Lol 

Update on this one, had it all re-done by a company called GSD. They were excellent. Hidden the cable beneath the flag work, very tidy install and appears to be working excellently....so far. :)