Automatic Gates cable question

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
At the end of the day most things are possible, but sometimes it comes down to what has been agreed when ordering the work. The more labour intensive a task is then the more expensive it is. Are there any specific requirements detailed on the work contract? or are installation methods just left open to the discretion of the installer? Some things may not always look tidy but can still be electrically safe. The rules and regulations guiding how this should be installed will generally relate the safety of the installation not the appearance. As such, different contractors can have very different approaches to the appearance of their installations. I would certainly discuss your concerns with the installer. Did you see any examples of their work before choosing them to install your system?

Doc H.

Yes, plenty, all looked very tidy. Good website, sounded very knowledgeable in person too.

Not to mention the distance from my house to the gates is a good 55m, the installer had someone with him today doing the groundwork, they dug up the lawn to lay the cable down and that's all stuff im happy with. I would've expect that nature of installation with a view of hiding the cables, to continue.

Certainly something i'll be discussing tomorrow now I know that what i'm asking for isn't too outlandish, not overly bothered about price. Just want it to look good and be safe.

I would be more worried about the radius of the bends in the cable, especially the last one next to the gate post with a cleat holding it to the brick work.. What cable is it?? SWA?? There is a minimum bending radius for ALL cables as far as i am aware..

john..

Yes, plenty, all looked very tidy. Good website, sounded very knowledgeable in person too.

Not to mention the distance from my house to the gates is a good 55m, the installer had someone with him today doing the groundwork, they dug up the lawn to lay the cable down and that's all stuff im happy with. I would've expect that nature of installation with a view of hiding the cables, to continue.

Certainly something i'll be discussing tomorrow now I know that what i'm asking for isn't too outlandish, not overly bothered about price. Just want it to look good and be safe.

post some pics once its finished and ill tell you if its safe and compliant or not

Will do, is it easy enough to amend should the final result look unsightly? Would I be looking at an electrician to fix?

Will do, is it easy enough to amend should the final result look unsightly? Would I be looking at an electrician to fix?

probably too late by then to tidy it up, although some things could be boxed in instead

gate wiring does not come under BS7671, its machinery regs & various other standards that most electricians dont know much about

forgot to add this earlier, this is a picture of the other side. I'm fine with this side, think it looks tidy enough.

That's how i'd expect it to look on both sides, like this diagram... I guess.

control box, direct down into the underground, and bring it up where the rams are.

Last edited by a moderator:
forgot to add this earlier, this is a picture of the other side. I'm fine with this side, think it looks tidy enough.

That's how i'd expect it to look on both sides, like this diagram... I guess.

control box, direct down into the underground, and bring it up where the rams are.

that diagram is a basic layout. there is no safety on that example so there will be more cables and more sensors to be fitted

I would expect those cables to be buried a lot deeper where vehicles are concerned. I'd be looking around 300mm minimum as the weight of vehicles passing over it will eventually crush the cable.

that diagram is a basic layout. there is no safety on that example so there will be more cables and more sensors to be fitted

True, but it does outline how the lines go underground from the control unit, and only resurface when required. That's the point im making. 

True, but it does outline how the lines go underground from the control unit, and only resurface when required. That's the point im making. 

no it doesnt. its a basic wiringlayout showing that a cable goes from go from control panel(4) to operator (1) & photocell (2).

of course, if you think the wiring looks bad because you can see it, wait until the correct safety edges are fitted. for a start, you will most likely need one on the closing edge of the gate.

as the gate opens into a  gap <500mm so you will need safety devices on the pillar. there also looks like a wall running parallel to the gate in its open position, you will need a safety edge there too (unles your forces are within acceptable values, which doesnt happen very often as if you reduce them too much the gate wont open / close poperly).

Update: when challenged on how the cables should be hidden. I got no reply. So I asked an electrician to come round who said the work was unsafe and very poorly done.

When I passed this information onto the installer, he told me he'd meet me at my property at 10:00AM to discuss it. However, then came to my property at 5:30AM to take back the control box (all recorded on CCTV) clearly he didnt want to continue the work when faced with such an arduous task of making it look sightly.

Glad my alarm bells were justified tbh. Good riddance.

Are any of you based in the NW and want a job?

you dont want an electrician, you need someone who knows gate wiring which many electricians dont.

where in the NW? id do it but itll cost you a fair bit in travel