Bathroom fan controlled by isolator switch

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rob3000

Reaction score
I have had a new shower fitted into an extended bathroom recently.  There is now an extract fan above the shower that has a built in light but the other half has decided that she doesn't want the fan/light on in the shower when she is in the bath.  I could get another pull switch put in just for the extract fan but I don't think it would look right having two pull switches.  So, is it acceptable to disconnect the switched live from the isolator switch (outside of the bathroom) and also at the supply other end in the junction box and use this basically as an on/off switch.  In the loft the fan is also supplied from a fused spur unit. 

I realise that the run on timer would then not work but I can't think of another  easy way of doing it.

is it acceptable to disconnect the switched live from the isolator switch (outside of the bathroom) and also at the supply other end in the junction box and use this basically as an on/off switch

That would just make it come on never. You need to connect the switched live to something to make it come on at some point, but I fail to see what would make this scenario any different to how it is now anyway?

Yes I can see what you mean about it never coming on.  So what if I link the switched live to the permanent live?  The isolator could then be used as an on/off switch. 

Not sure that would really achieve anything. Currently you just turn the lights on to go in the room and the shower fan/light comes on. If you happen to be the wife having a bath then turn the isolator off. If you start making it into a seprate switch then you need to turn it on separately to the main lights every time you want to use it.

This is why I tend to fit standard switches outside the room rather than having all or nothing on the pull switch as you tend to end up with it being useless/awkward/inconvenient and then the fan gets left off more often than not and then people complain about damp and peeling paint. My solution to this would be fit a 2 gang switch outside the room, as I do on most bathrooms. Convenient & simple.

Last edited by a moderator: