Bathroom Inline Extractor Fan Advice

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David Rose

Reaction score
Hi,

I want to have 2 vents in my en-suite bathroom (we have no windows) and want to know if I can wire 2 inline fans (situated in the loft) from 1 light switch? I have 1 already installed with a Y piece connector to split the tubing, with one tube going outside but the fan isn't powerful enough to clear the room of steam.

I have a 10A rocker switch (3 gang), 2 switches are for the lighting, 1 switch for the fan.

The 2 fans I have are:

1 x Manrose MF100S (25w)

1 x Vortice CA 100 V0 D (85w)

So total wattage is 110.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Hi,

I want to have 2 vents in my en-suite bathroom (we have no windows) and want to know if I can wire 2 inline fans (situated in the loft) from 1 light switch? I have 1 already installed with a Y piece connector to split the tubing, with one tube going outside but the fan isn't powerful enough to clear the room of steam.

I have a 10A rocker switch (3 gang), 2 switches are for the lighting, 1 switch for the fan.

The 2 fans I have are:

1 x Manrose MF100S (25w)

1 x Vortice CA 100 V0 D (85w)

So total wattage is 110.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Is there enough air getting into the room to clear the steam?

Where doorframes are tight or poorly fitted and there are no windows that open there usually isn't enough air flowing into the room for the fan to clear the space.

Last edited by a moderator:
My guess is you need to sort out the ducting first.

If you have a long run of that horrible flexible ducting that is probably your problem.

It's lousy for air flow, and any sag will fill up with condensation.

Start by replacing the duct with rigid 110mm drain pipe in a nice level run or preferably a slight fall to it's outlet vent to allow any condensation out.

Then get a decent in line fan. Look at cubic metres per hour as your guide, not wattage.

Your plan woukd be ok. However I would check you have a good airflow through the duct as any one of those should work. How long is the duct and how far in is the fan ? A simple test is holding a piece of toilet paper in front if the bathroom grill to see if the airflow suck the paper up.

I would run the shower hot to generate steam and then open the door slightly - as all you may need to do is increase the air gap at the bottom of the door!

Also - how long is the duct from the ceiling to the outside?

AND is the exising ducting clear and not full of water - seen that a few times!

I'm with Kerch on this, the Lineo fan is 6inch designed to fit 4inch ducting, and will suck either 125m2 or 255m2 per hour, significanlty superior to the pathetic performance of most 4inch fans

Latest posts