Battery and inverter control software

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ollie78

Reaction score
Hi everyone.

I am still in a position of looking at what solar/ battery system to get as discussed in my other thread.
https://electricianforum.co.uk/threads/hi-joining-for-some-advice.57235/
But I thought it might be worthwhile starting a thread about the best or worst battery or system control software.
I have been quoted for an Alpha ess battery and they currently do not allow discharge to the grid, I have been told this was a software issue and is likely to be updated later in the year.

With this in mind, I wondered if people with installed batteries or people who install them might say what they like or don`t about the control systems from different companies, a sort of recommended or avoid list.

Cheers

Ollie

Last edited:
Discharging to the grid is nothing to do with the batteries as I'm sure you know, it's a function of the inverter. The most open and accessible inverter, second to none are the ones made by Victron, the downside is theyre expensive but you can literally do anything with them. I have mine setup in such a way that if Octopus give me an EV charging session outside the daily off peak hours my inverter is also switched into charging mode too. That is not possible with all inverters, very few give you that level of access.

Discharging to the grid is nothing to do with the batteries as I'm sure you know, it's a function of the inverter. The most open and accessible inverter, second to none are the ones made by Victron, the downside is theyre expensive but you can literally do anything with them. I have mine setup in such a way that if Octopus give me an EV charging session outside the daily off peak hours my inverter is also switched into charging mode too. That is not possible with all inverters, very few give you that level of access.
Of course you are correct John. I have not used the right terminology there. Changed title to battery and inverter software.

It`s just that the way it is often sold/structured is like the ac inverter and battery are a sort of unit together so I have been thinking of it as one thing.

Its one positive vote for Victron then.

Of course you are correct John. I have not used the right terminology there. Changed title to battery and inverter software.

It`s just that the way it is often sold/structured is like the ac inverter and battery are a sort of unit together so I have been thinking of it as one thing.

Its one positive vote for Victron then.
It's worth having a look and a chat in some of the Victron forums. Theyre full of inverter enthusiasts that fall over themselves to be helpful. Victron tends to me modular too, solar/mppt chargers being separate from the inverter/chargers, lots of nice stuff though to provide in house displays etc.

I have a solis ac coupled inverter with fogstar batterys eve lifepo cells x16 280ah making 14.4kwh total size
It uses seplos bms controls and pylontech comms on the inverter works very well i have to be honest

Attachments

• IMG_20231223_142705.jpg
    IMG_20231223_142705.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 0