bbq

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bob

Reaction score
i have built a brick bbq and want a rotisserie, but cant find one and was thinking of making one :) how hard do you think they are to make? :|

bob

i was thinking a whole chicken or 2, because the grill is only 550 x 300mm, all i can see that i need is a:

rod (mild steel, SS (v.expensive), alu)

motor (i was thinking synchronous or permantly borrow admins shed motor :D )

some berings (that i can take out when finished)

some cogs (worm drive)

i have a local steel fabricators neer me, but i want to do most of it, because of cost

bob

i was thinking a whole chicken or 2, because the grill is only 550 x 300mm, all i can see that i need is a:rod (mild steel, SS (v.expensive), alu)

motor (i was thinking synchronous or permantly borrow admins shed motor :D )

some berings (that i can take out when finished)

some cogs (worm drive)

i have a local steel fabricators neer me, but i want to do most of it, because of cost

bob
Bob - I think you are trying to over engineer things

Bearings don't get on well near a lot of heat. Wouldn't a bush do?

I think cogs add to the complexity. Something like an old cordless drill with variable speed. Steal the motor, wire through a rheostat (sp?)

i have an old cordless :D

would i need bushes or would a hole work because it wont be going very fast :)

would mild steel be ok or would i need it chromed, hopefully not need SS because of the cost, not much in the pot amt :(

bob

i have an old cordless :D would i need bushes or would a hole work because it wont be going very fast :)

would mild steel be ok or would i need it chromed, hopefully not need SS because of the cost, not much in the pot amt :(

bob
I'd go for a hole! If you have any metal tube to line the hole it will run smoother.

What about cast iron? Use a cast iron polker. Cost very little money!

SS not too expensive. Threaded rod? Could even use the old drill chuck attached to the motor.

cheers for that, i did not relise it was so easy

bob

i was only going to use it wen i need it, as i allways say it dont matter what it looks like the important thing is that it works.

bob