Bedroom wiring

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robbo

Reaction score
Been asked to do a job for someone who is refurbing a bedroom. Basically they have a family member who is going to have a operation at hospital sometime in the next 12 months and it means they will be returning to recover from it at home for as long as 3 months after the op. The customer would like the room rewired, redecorated etc so its a nice place for visitors to come and make it a nice room for the person to recover in.

They have asked me for some suggestions. Mainly on the electrical side of things. I get the impression that they will consider all suggestions to give it that sort of 5 star hotel type feel.

I have already suggested installing digital tv in there for them, be it through sky or a freeview aerial. Also I mentioned remote control lighting so they can turn the lights on and off and dim them from the comfort of their bed. Also there is the need for a socket each side of the bed etc. Is there anything else I could consider? Just wonder if anyones wired any cool features in a similar situation over the years and wouldnt mind passing on their ideas.

Does the recovery require any special medical equipment? You may need to make allowances for that? Is the person going to be able bodied? Big switches might not look as cool but would be far easier if there are co-ordination or dexterity issues.

:|

You have included most features that I would have.

Things you should consider are heating controls, curtains, telephone , intercom, emergencies.

Put yourself in the position and work out what you would want if stuck in a single room for any length of time.

Electronic door realease with auto door closures on rear door for letting the dog out for a pee!

You have to give them as much control as you can, so they feel they are usefull.

However word of warning, make them work for it.

Remote control for the TV is ok hand held but make them move about for all the other home comforts or else some will just vegitate in a bed of luxury

Here is how I would do it,,

Sockets near the bed, telephone near the bed, TV point on an opposite wall (digital) inc sockets, center light switched at doorway and by the bed & possibly an articulated light over the bed (off a dimmer). If there is any specific medical equipment that needs to be on all the time them put in some dedicated non RCD protected sockets (in conduit if necessary)..

Instead of a pendant, how about a fan light.. if they are stuck in bed they might appreciate it (you can get remote kits for them!!)

As Patch says, big switches might be a good idea; maybe even remotely operated!!

I think that's it..

maby a computer / laptop with wireless might be a good idea depending on there interests. all the sugestions here seem very helpful

remote control curtians, heating, Tv, Lights.

what type of bed are you thinking of using or is in there at the moment it seems like a costly option but maby an electric rasing bed because lying in bed for a long period of time can become very uncomfatble and these electrical beds can be raised etc altering the bodily position is always good for your health so that your bones and muscles done weaken

What is the reliability of the mains supply?

Is there any history of power cuts?

You could consider emergency lighting for general house sefety, and maybe a UPS to power lights/intercom/emergency call equipment/door release or whatever for the recovering pateint.

wow, what happened to the bedside light and clock radio on the bedside cabinet. ??

i would put a double socket either side of the bed and a chair either side for visitors and a pack of cards and a few board games to pass the day.

i cant think of anything worse than laying in bed watching tv all day how ever comfy it is, would much rather have a few visitors and have a giggle,monopoly does it for me .. i always nick a few 500 for when i run low on funds . :)

wow, what happened to the bedside light and clock radio on the bedside cabinet. ??i would put a double socket either side of the bed and a chair either side for visitors and a pack of cards and a few board games to pass the day.

i cant think of anything worse than laying in bed watching tv all day how ever comfy it is, would much rather have a few visitors and have a giggle,monopoly does it for me .. i always nick a few 500 for when i run low on funds . :)
shame you cant do that in real life though :_| :_| :_| :^O :coat

some do .. lol... look at them guys this week emptying bank accounts they got 25 years for it ... just think if they had got away with it whooowhoooo...

i would liken it to been called an MP. :)

they went in for a 4k over draft and they let em have 4 mill lol.. apparently they are in china or korea .. i say good luck to them

If you fitted plastic dado on the wall behind the bed you can have access to instal any form of control and power as required.Data cat5 for pc ELV for controling lighting and nurse call assist kit multi use handset wired to dado is better than WiFi, cheapo of flea bay.

All depends how restricted recovering patient will be.

Ceiling Pir for lighting when movement detected.

Latest posts