BG doesn’t need a switch fuse?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

anjaip

Reaction score
Hi all am checking something. Appreciate the help.

Am having a new 3 phase supply installed. BG are going to install the meters.

There are 5 meters in all to be in a cupboard at the front of the property (common area) to serve 4 units and a landlord supply.

The setup is that UKPN will put in the cutout.

We then put in a 3 phase to 6 way (single phase) Ryefield box, then a red link before each meter.
BG install each meter.
After the meter I was going to have a 100A switch fuse before 25mm SWA to each flat where each CU is situated.

All good right?

So the BG folks providing the meters say they will install a 100A DP isolator switch after the meter (and so I don’t need to have a switch fuse).

I’ve have told them (several of them) the CU (hence the length of the SWA) is some way from the meter (20+ feet).

Am I wrong? and that you can do without the switch fuse and just a DP isolator switch is enough?? I thought the switch fuse protects the SWA cable it’s not just for convenience of a visiting engineer (and we can’t rely on the main fuse for that).

BG outsource the meter fitting and so am going to confirm with IMServ but I don’t want to have the meter fitting refused on the day for not having the switch fuses in place.

Any thoughts?

I assume this is a new build or conversion so you would need the switch fuses and cables to the flats and flats all ready to go before they will put in the meters

I suspect the BG person is misleading you

You DO NOT have to have any installation at all to have the meter put in. Just install the switchfuse and nothing else and they HAVE to connect to it. No choice, ofgen makes this clear..

Information for Meter Operators v1.0 Page 5 of 14

3.6 Testing of customer electrical installations prior to connection or energisation
Where the work to be done by the meter operator, on behalf of the appointed electricity supplier, involves the
connection, energisation, or re-energisation of customer’s electrical installations the safety of the installation
must be assured prior to such connection, energisation, or re-energisation as detailed in F, I, K, L & M of the
MOCOPA principles (see Appendix 3).

Under regulation 25 of the Electricity Safety, Quality and Continuity Regulations 2002 (ESQC Regulations),
UKPD does not give consent to make or alter connections of customer installations where there are reasonable
grounds that the customer’s installation does not comply with the British Standard Requirements and the
ESQC Regulations themselves.

Accordingly, UKPD requires that all appointed electricity suppliers and all appointed meter operators ensure,
given the nature of installation being connected, energised or re-energised, that the installation is safe to
connect and complies with the British Standard Requirements1 and the ESQC Regulations.

Where the meter operator is fitting an isolating switch and customer accessible PME terminal block on the
installation side of the metering system, to enable a third party to later connect wires into the fitted isolator
and customer accessible PME terminal block, these items form part of the electrical installation.

Accordingly, UKPD requires that the meter operator shall conduct such tests as are necessary and sufficient to
ensure that the fitted isolator switch and customer accessible PME terminal block is safe to connect and
complies with the British Standard Requirements and the ESQC Regulations. The meter operator shall retain
records of such tests and results.

For the avoidance of doubt, where customers’ installations at the time of requested connection comprise a
very limited extent of electrical lines and plant that has been demonstrated through tests and certificates to
comply with British Standard Requirements, then connection of the electrical installation should be made.

For example, where a customer’s initial installation comprises a double pole isolator with meter tails ready for
connection to a metering system and a customer earth block with conductor ready for connection to a PME
terminal and the customer’s installation complies with British Standard Requirements then connection should
not be refused.

Following the meter operator’s connection of a customer’s electrical installation demonstrated to be
compliant with the ESQC Regulations the liability for subsequent modifications to the customer’s installation
resides fully with the customer. It is the customer’s responsibility to liaise with their appointed electricity
supplier and UKPD if they plan to make changes to their electrical installation which are likely to affect, or
exceed, the customer’s previously agreed requirements of the distribution system or metering equipment.
They must liaise with the relevant parties before any such material changes to their electrical installation are
made

john..

Last edited:
You need to clarify what you have ordered. If you have ordered 1 x 3phase supply then they will only install 1 x 3phase meter and its then upto you to meter and charge each separate unit.

If you want the supplier to provide meters for each unit, then you need to order 5 single phase supplies.

There is a big difference as if its 1 x 3 phase then you will have provide a disboard and meters for each sub board and then it's the owners responsibility to charge the users for what they use.

If the supplier provides the meters they will install a dis board before their meters to give you 5 separate supplies with their own MPAN numbers.

I would double check what your getting and ensure that it's exactly as you want.

If your putting cu's in each location and this is more than 3m from the meters then yes they will need their own switch fuse to protect the mains cables.

If I got it right, you're debating the need for a switch fuse after the meter, BG saying a DP isolator switch is enough. I'd stick to the switch fuse for that added SWA cable protection, especially with the CU being a good distance away.

If I got it right, you're debating the need for a switch fuse after the meter, BG saying a DP isolator switch is enough. I'd stick to the switch fuse for that added SWA cable protection, especially with the CU being a good distance away.
Thanks to all — I thought I had posted a reply….

Yes indeed I was asking about a switch fuse after the meter. I will have them installed to protect the SWA cable. BG (or rather IMServ) has to be OK with that.

You need to clarify what you have ordered. If you have ordered 1 x 3phase supply then they will only install 1 x 3phase meter and its then upto you to meter and charge each separate unit.

If you want the supplier to provide meters for each unit, then you need to order 5 single phase supplies.

There is a big difference as if its 1 x 3 phase then you will have provide a disboard and meters for each sub board and then it's the owners responsibility to charge the users for what they use.

If the supplier provides the meters they will install a dis board before their meters to give you 5 separate supplies with their own MPAN numbers.

I would double check what your getting and ensure that it's exactly as you want.

If your putting cu's in each location and this is more than 3m from the meters then yes they will need their own switch fuse to protect the mains cables.
Hi yes it’s a single 3 phase supply but we are installing a 3phase to 6 way (single phase) Ryefield box just above the cut out. The meter folks are to install 5 single phase meters after which we are going to install the switch fuses. Two of the consumer units are pretty close (<3m) to the Ryefield/UKPN cut out so wouldn’t need a switch fuse but the other three would. No idea why BG think an isolator is enough but they contract out the work (to folks that might know better). Thanks for the help.