Bonding aluminium????

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Defo HF start mate, the scratch start ones are NFG IMHO!

I "nearly" became a coded welder many years ago!

Have done MMA, TIG, MIG (MAGS), Oxy/Acet, & Atomic Hydrogen.

Mild steel, structural steel work, pipes, other general steels, tool & die steel (with heat treat) water, oil & air herdening, stainless, dissimilar steels, cast iron, of a few kinds repair and surfacing, aluminium and some alloys, brass, copper and a few dissimilar joints over the years.

Can't recall ever welding lead, nor high magnesium alloys.

Most of it repair or modification welding, not done much manufacturing except for odd jobs, what I mean is I have not spent weeks welding up fabrications, rarely more than a couple of days on each job if it was a new build.

Can remember vaguely spending 14 days welding the same cast iron press tool!

Also done the arc gouging, oxy/acet (& propane) cutting & gouging, brazing, hard, silver & soft soldering on loads of materials including dissimilar stuff.

Only in the last few years did I ever come close to sub-arc though and that was when the customer tried out a replacement control panel I had made for their sub-arc machine!

Funnily enough, fixed 2 MIG sets today & had a look at a diesel welder/genny for a customer after I got let out of prison.

you dont want to try drilling weld.

have you enough clearance on the diameter to weld a sleeve around?

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 23:19 ---------- Previous post was made at 23:18 ----------

You sure you have the correct terminology there ? :slap And would it be tig,mig or oxy/acet ? ROTFWL
it would deffo have to be a constant feed stick.! :D

Can't do a complete 360 around it as a slot needs to be kept for the sail to slide up,,,

thinking about it there might be a plastic slider that the sail goes up..... If so then welding is not an option, I should be able to have a look tomorrow if I finish the job I'm on early enough.

you dont need a 360 weld.

I was just wondering, if the spreader thing clamps round the mast, then when you sleeve it the mast dia is larger, so you need a larger dia spreader?

or do I not understand how this works?

In all honesty I don't think an extra 4mm to the diameter will make that much difference as the arms are adjustable.

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 23:36 ---------- Previous post was made at 23:30 ----------

FFS I'm really getting into this sailing lark aren't I??

Even went out in a topper for the very first time on sunday (by myself)!!!!!!!

The thing is it shouldn't have,,

From what I know all it does is attach to the fixed rigging which ensures that the mast stays up straight.

I think that the mast had beed taken down and it was knocked or dropped (quite hard)

Latest posts