Bonding nipples

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IzzyS

Reaction score
While doing a job today I came across a radial circuit in a domestic garage wired in 2.5mm T & E "glanded" into metalclad sockets (from the top) using these 20mm Bonding Nipple. All sockets, except the last, had two cables clamped into one nipple.

I don't understand what the NICEIC contractor who installed them was trying to achieve, as he hasn't maintained the IP4X on the top surface, the cables aren't subject to strain anyway, and IMHO the nipples aren't really suitable for two T&E in one.

What do you reckon? Pukka job, or was he just using up some left-over bits?

I don't think its a big deal TBH Izzys . Enlighten me on IP4X for the top of socket boxes , I only have the top of Consumer units in my ageing memory banks.
I thought it was the top horizontal surface of any enclosure...I may well be wrong see wife for details!

I remember them being called 'lead-conns'.......... :coat

He must have plenty of money. I prefer to use a 20mm nylon gland and pay about 25p for one of those although generally I will use a bit of conduit in a garage.

I thought it was the top horizontal surface of any enclosure...I may well be wrong see wife for details!I remember them being called 'lead-conns'.......... :coat
You're probably right Kerch , damned if I remember it though ... just retained the top of C/units .

It's IP2X for the top and IP4X for other surfaces of any enclosure guys
Indeed it is, Noz

I always thought that nipples such as these were for side or bottom entry.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds painful;) ;)
You didn't get one of those inspection cameras from LIDL the other day, did you?
default_tongue%20in%20cheek.png
;)

Thanks for the comments. I'll stick with blind grommets, conduit or nylon glands.

It's IP2X for the top and IP4X for other surfaces of any enclosure guys
I'm off to amend my copy of the BGB 416.2.2 :)

Latest posts