Bs7671 2015 Paper Vs Digital

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just received this from the IET

IET membership is £137 per annum.

As you are a member of the NICEIC I can offer you the Silver package for 3 years at a cost of £375 + vat........

Thank you for your interest in our digital standards packages and I would like to let you know about an exclusive deal for our customers to ensure they are covered for the next Amendment of BS7671. The Digital version of the Regs allows you to search by word, phrase or sentence, you can hyperlink between the Regs and all the Guidance Notes, you can print up to 5 pages at a time and find a Regulation by simply clicking on the number on the side of the page. The gold package will not be available until January 2015.

Wiring Regulations BS7671 Digital:

Silver Package

BS7671 Wiring Regulations,

Guidance Notes 1-8

On-Site Guide

Electrician's Guide to the Building Regulations

Electrical Installation Design Guide

3 year subscription to cover you until 2017, including all updates to Amendment 3 = one off payment of £420 + vat (IET member cost = £273.00 + vat)

The Bronze package

BS7671 Wiring Regulations,

Guidance Notes 1&3

On-Site Guide

3 year subscription to cover you until 2017, including all updates to Amendment 3 = £165 + vat

The Gold package will be available from March 2015

Each license allows the software to be accessed via the internet, downloaded onto 2 pcs/laptops; also it can be put onto an iPhone, ipad and android tablet.....

So my next question is.......what advantages are there in becoming a member of the IET?..........question for Father and Eldest child only

Just being Robert Robertson

Theres been a murder!

£420 for 3 years = £140 / year VS £107 / year for the wood pulp versions.

I very much doubt they will bring out any more amendments in the next 3 years unless this next one is a complete balls up but who knows!

Do all the GN's need to be updated??? Earthing and Bonding can't have changed that much!

KerchingMIET ;) got a ring to it, you better ask the snake about other benefits such as the free cheese rolls. 

:)

The GN's will need to be updated to cater for the changes in reg numbers if nothing else.

MIET, I don't know what the advantages are TBH.

Discount on the publications, access to the library and stuff like that.

I have my Engineering Council registration with them also.

I think you can now join without having to pass the education/competence requirements for EngC registration.

The selling point for me is the search facility and also you have access to it all without having to lug any hard copies around.

It does seem they have put the prices up though, from when I went paperless a few months ago.

Paper one, I just fear the memory space an ebook would take up on the ipad
Under the "old" Bookshelf, IET system, the regs, osg, all 8 GN's, 2 versions of the "design guide", the CoP for electrical safety management, & 2 versions of the Electricians guide to the building regulations.

530MB on the laptop, can't see it being much more on the iPad TBH, not sure how to easily check.

Found it!

Bookshelf itself and all the books were 591MB on the iPad.

The new electronic regs "system" is not currently adequately available offline as it is a web based app, it is very slow, and as I say not available offline, even though the IET sell it as if it is, and, it has serious bugs.

Oh Andy, and don't they KNOW IT, I have already sent a few choice words.

TBH, IMHO it is not fit for purpose and their advertising and information is in breach of the sale of goods act.

definitely not fit for purpose if you cant access it where you need it. or if you do have internet its probably fairly slow, so would take a long time to load what you want, along with a lot of 'useless' data

and usually if i do need to look something up on-site, it usually only takes a few minutes to find it in the book. would take longer for the laptop to start

Last edited by a moderator:
I've yet to get an iPad specifically for work, my current one for home, is desperately short of memory after all the other junk on it.

Those who have got a version for pc/ iPad, how good are the search features and hot keys. Do they make it easier or add to the frustration?

I agree, but in all honesty 3G/4G is becoming the norm these days and should improve as time goes on.

Also the books will load into your browser cache, so if you dont empty the cache it should load even if offline.

I have the same feeling that its slower web based and the search does not seem as good, but its early days I suppose.

The current version is web based, so it is available on any platform, as it is platform independent, but, it does not work correctly.

The OLD version for the search and stuff was very good.

The new, well at the moment it is rubbish, slow, and buggy.

Search, very difficult.

The old platform has been discontinued.

The current version is web based, so it is available on any platform, as it is platform independent, but, it does not work correctly.

The OLD version for the search and stuff was very good.

The new, well at the moment it is rubbish, slow, and buggy.

Search, very difficult.

The old platform has been discontinued.
How did you access it?.....i was expecting an email but have had "other things on my mind" so it took a back seat

The only downside to an ebook/iPad, is you currently can't take them into the exam for the test. I would love common sense to prevail in a few years when the new version comes out, but...

Exams? ;)

Not intending to do them again for a while! ;)

Done enough in my time.

Mind I have enjoyed my time in education & training, then I like to learn new things.