Burying Cable

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

padawan

Reaction score
Hey Guys, i have got another question for you.

Tomorrow i need to bury a SWA, it is only a short run about 3m, from a house to a detached garage/workshop. The tench where the cable will be run, runs across a concrete path running down the side of the house.

Whats the best way to dig out the concrete path? How would you deal with it?

I was thinking use an angle grinder, cut two lines across the path for the edges of the trench, smash the concrete in-between the lines, then dig out the trench. Does that sound like a reasonable plan of attack?

My only major concern is other services, but i have scoped out the area, located all the various stopcocks and drains, so i have some what of an idea where they should be, although i won't know for sure until i start digging.

Cheers

I was thinking use an angle grinder, cut two lines across the path for the edges of the trench, smash the concrete in-between the lines, then dig out the trench. Does that sound like a reasonable plan of attack?
Yep.

My only major concern is other services, but i have scoped out the area, located all the various stopcocks and drains, so i have some what of an idea where they should be, although i won't know for sure until i start digging.
Just dig carefully.

Why not go over head?
Why not go underground?

The text book way to do this correctly and minimising as far as possible the risk of a service strike would be to ask a competent person to CAT scan the area and apply for service drawings.  Now I understand that may seem silly in this situation.  So what I would look out for is signs of services such as stop *****, inspection pits etc but also look for 'scars' in the concrete.  Places which have clearly been dug up before for something to be installed.  Without scanning you are at risk with the unknown unfortunately.  Dig carefully, dig slowly and constantly review the risk every 300mm or so.