C&G 2365 example questions unit 203

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rich1

Reaction score
Looking at some example questions, I'm not seeing any answers in the handouts for unit 203, Electrical Installation Technology.

First is:

The Insulation material in MICC is absorbent, therefore the terminations must be:
a) watertight
b) correctly identified
c) fitted with a gland
d) fitted with a shroud

I'm assuming all to be true, but the fitting of the pot and sealing compound makes the termination airtight as well as watertight. It's meant to keep moisture in the air out not really water? Anyway I guess a) is the best answer? No mention of this in the handout.

Second:

Additional cable supports must be provided in trunking where:
a) segregation is required
b) there are long vertical runs
c) trunking is plastic
d) wall are made of lightweight brick

I assume this question is refering to use of metal clips to retain cables in plastic trunking in case of fire? There's no mention of this in the handout.

Third:
Band I and Band II circuits can be enclosed in the same enclosure, provided that:
a)the current rating of all circuits does not exceed 10A
b)they are twisted around each other along the trunking length
c)every cable or conductor is insulated for the highest voltage present
d)there are the same number of Band I and Band II circuits

Again there's no mention of Band I and Band II in the handout for unit 203.
I see that the Regs tell me that the answer is c), but I'm still a bit mystified why this is not in the handouts.

Question 1 sort of answers itself, absorbent in the question watertight in one of the answers.
Question 2 I would argue there are two answers. b) long vertical runs place undue stress on conductors. c) premature collapse in the event of a fire (see Section 521).
Question 3 you are correct.

I see that the Regs tell me that the answer is c), but I'm still a bit mystified why this is not in the handouts.

It is common practice with electrical courses to give you enough information to allow you sufficient knowledge to deduce a correct answer, without actually spoon-feeding all answers.

Getting you competent at using the BS7671 index is a key point of most C&G exams!

from your answers it appears you are thinking along the right lines.

And do not forget that most C&G multi-choice questions typically have answers you can easily ignore..

Looking at some example questions, I'm not seeing any answers in the handouts for unit 203, Electrical Installation Technology.

First is:

The Insulation material in MICC is absorbent, therefore the terminations must be:
a) watertight
b) correctly identified
c) fitted with a gland
d) fitted with a shroud

e.g. answer (b) ALL terminations should be correctly identified so NOTHING to do with MICC.
(c) You use pots NOT glands on MICC..
(d) Shrouds are NOT an MICC only termination item...

And whilst you do not want damp in any termination..
Damp in MICC is a major problem with bare copper relying on the mineral insulation to prevent any continuity between the live conductors!

I think the term water-tight is a bit stupid, sealed against moisture might have been better. I mean you can have something thats water tight but lets in water vapour...

I think the term water-tight is a bit stupid, sealed against moisture might have been better. I mean you can have something thats water tight but lets in water vapour...
I agree that is poorly worded.