Cable Clipping

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lee Sparks

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Is there any tricks of the trade etc, when it comes to clipping cables on a exterior wall?

I know this is a trivial question, but it truly was a nightmare trying to clip a 1.5mm 2core+earth flex along an exterior wall, roughly 15 meters.

The problem was, the nails,that are supplied with the clips, did not go into the brick enough, just kept bending over.

I managed to get 2 in out of about 40.

Not sure they are crap nails, or this particular wall?

It was rendered and a few coats of paint on.

Is it worth having some short masonary nails for problem walls? 

Cheers,

Lee.

Last edited by a moderator:
If I encounter problems like this, I have a supply of short wall plugs specifically designed for cable clips.  Think they came from B+Q or trade point.  Ideal for this.

You can buy purpose made plugs, I think they call them Pin Plugs maybe made by Tower.

Drill 5.5mm hole about 12mm deep, put Pin Plug in and fix clip.

A good quality clip is also a must, Uni-Fix clips now called FastFix24/7 use proper masonry nails unlike Tower who use soft nails.

I've never used the clip plug, but what I have done is.......... used almost a full box trying to put 7 clips in some render.  So I feel your pain.

Thanks guys.

I didnt know about these cable plugs!

Most handy, will pick up myself a box.

Cheers!

Some times I replace the smaller nails with the larger ones from bigger clips. They are longer and stronger.

also are we saying here that you cant render over a cable??

never done it but can't see why not if its in a safe zone?

Don't mention adhesives. I had a dollop of that foam on my head the other day. What a nightmare to get off lucky I don't have much hair up top. If I did the hair would have to  have been cut off to get rid of it.