Cable Size

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What size of cable is that going from inverter to AC isolator. Looks like flex or white FP. But must be small csa to put it through the left hand stuffing gland. Might be getting high impedance through that piece of cable if it's only 2.5 say??

What size of cable is that going from inverter to AC isolator. Looks like flex or white FP. But must be small csa to put it through the left hand stuffing gland. Might be getting high impedance through that piece of cable if it's only 2.5 say??
As i remember least on the last SB i fitted you cant get anything bigger than a 2.5 into the connector.

No that was me playing around with posts, and messed up
Spoiled my fun...

Last edited by a moderator:
Dependant on inverter, its usually either 2.5mm or 4mm flex - manuf. spec.

I prefer 4mm, but not all inverters will take a 4mm conductor.

I'm sure sma ask for 6mm..

Dya think the wife will mind if I pop out to van and check manual.?? She is sleeping!! Bit selfish really !! No!! Lol..

Seems SMA specifically mention not above 1% VD in their installation instructions. How can one comply with BS7671 if you havent followed the installation instructions?

Isolators mounted at that height should surely be of similar operation to Firemens Switches

Tell that to the electrician who falls from the ladder he shouldn`t have had to climb, when he`s isolating the inverter AC to work on the installation.OH! Thats good to know.

erm....Which copy of HASAWA has that in? I can`t find that particular regulation.

I`ll go along with that - though it DOES give me some preconceptions about the installer :)

He never HAD a responsibility as installer - but did YOU know that the duty holder has a duty to ensure that the installer is competent? But you go ahead and call it "nonsense" - everyone is entitled to an opinion.
If the "duty holder" or person requesting the work asks a nother to carry out works and the a nother is in this case (I think) MCS,REAL and NAPITregisterd,,,,,, hes ticked the box of negating his """"request for works responsibillity""""

and I agree there should be a point of emergency isolation but it does not need to be local only clearly labelled and in a obvious location and if you want at the mains location

If the "duty holder" or person requesting the work asks a nother to carry out works and the a nother is in this case (I think) MCS,REAL and NAPITregisterd,,,,,, hes ticked the box of negating his """"request for works responsibillity""""and I agree there should be a point of emergency isolation but it does not need to be local only clearly labelled and in a obvious location and if you want at the mains location
The duty holder can never negate his or her responsibilities. I could provide some HSE prosecution case notes that will verify this but it would prove futile given the fact that you neither state fact nor acknowledge it.

The worst advise given is by those who are less able to take it.

The duty holder can never negate his or her responsibilities. I could provide some HSE prosecution case notes that will verify this but it would prove futile given the fact that you neither state fact nor acknowledge it.The worst advise given is by those who are less able to take it.
Please do post your links as I would be interseted in your facts on HSE

If a PV company asks a scaffolder for a scaffold to provide a safe work platform for his PV chaps,, that is away to negate the responsibility,,,,,,,, if the PV installer suppplies a ladder or zip up scaff then no way would said company negate the responsibility

Last edited by a moderator:
Regina Vs Octel is a classic example of statute law.

There is a classic civil law case which I can never remember, but it is a company something like the "Dancerama shoe company".

Like everything H&S, there are grey areas, however, these two cases demonstrate that HSE will prosecute premises owners/occupiers for the incompetence of their contractors and sub-contractors, and also that the courts take a dim view and will award compensation against companies who go for the cheapest option when selecting contractors.

Remembering that a statute law guilty verdict opens the gates for a civil law award in most situations.

The premises owner/occupier has a duty of care in civil law to select contractors competent to do the work that they require, in this example, then, this can be demonstrated quite easily I suspect to show that the installer was not competent.

Please remember, if it ever goes to court, under H&S law, one is guilty by default, it is one of the few sections of UK law where the burden of proof is reversed.

HSE will say you are guilty of "..." it is then down to you to prove otherwise.

Their expert witness will be well briefed and will make the collective knowledge of this forum seem like that of a 3yr old about chaos theory!

Regina Vs Octel is a classic example of statute law.There is a classic civil law case which I can never remember, but it is a company something like the "Dancerama shoe company".

Like everything H&S, there are grey areas, however, these two cases demonstrate that HSE will prosecute premises owners/occupiers for the incompetence of their contractors and sub-contractors, and also that the courts take a dim view and will award compensation against companies who go for the cheapest option when selecting contractors.

Remembering that a statute law guilty verdict opens the gates for a civil law award in most situations.

The premises owner/occupier has a duty of care in civil law to select contractors competent to do the work that they require, in this example, then, this can be demonstrated quite easily I suspect to show that the installer was not competent.

Please remember, if it ever goes to court, under H&S law, one is guilty by default, it is one of the few sections of UK law where the burden of proof is reversed.

HSE will say you are guilty of "..." it is then down to you to prove otherwise.

Their expert witness will be well briefed and will make the collective knowledge of this forum seem like that of a 3yr old about chaos theory!
LOOK can we ALL live the REAL WORLD

how on earth can joe public KNOW if their install does not confrom to all relavant regulations untill something goes wrong, by then its to late.

Below is a list of qulifications my installer SAYS he has

MCS Accredited

Renewable Energy Awareness

If the installer DOES hold those................

Then I`m afraid there is no hope for the industry, as a whole.

From your perspective, (and from mine) those quals outstrip 90-95% of this forum, at a guess - yet the work is so poor, it looks like the apprentice on a bad day, with a hangover!

I don`t believe you`d have any problem - but the installer most definitely would.

Most of those professional bodies ought to be interested in what he churns out, whilst "under their umbrella", so to speak!

I`m shocked!!!!

I am also shocked, and each and every one of those bodies would not like their names to be associated with such a bad install.

In fact I would doubt that anyone with those qualifications would even try to do such a poor job, out of sheer pride.

Raises the question of the authenticity of his qualification claims. To gain all of that takes a lot of time. This in turn leaves little time to actually trade.

In addition if he held those quals. he would surely understand the dangers he presents in leaving this install as he has, I refer only to combustible mounting board and locations of isolators.

That's worrying.

Perhaps you should dump your gripes with NAPIT and get him thrown out of the IET, if I had done this install then I would not be surprised if the IET threw me out.

LOOK can we ALL live the REAL WORLDhow on earth can joe public KNOW if their install does not confrom to all relavant regulations untill something goes wrong, by then its to late.

Below is a list of qulifications my installer SAYS he has

MCS AccreditedNeeds re assessing

Renewable Energy Awareness

How long do you recon it'd take to get all those qualifications (ad I don't mean just writing them down on a piece of paper)??

I'm thinking at least 15 years

and if he does have all those then WTF is he installing PV, you'd think he'd be doing something better with his life:O