Can a hybrid inverter charge batteries from a second inverter?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nigel Aitken

Reaction score
Hi
I recently bought some extra solar panels to help boost my low winter power production and was trying to work out the best point to add them in to my hybrid inverter system. I could add them as a parallel string but was wondering if it would be possible to use micro-inverters or even a second inverter and if simply connecting it in parallel with the hybrid mains AC, would allow the extra power to be diverted in to the batteries?
Would any one happen to know if a second inverter would charge the batteries via the hybrid :unsure:

Yes
Hi
I recently bought some extra solar panels to help boost my low winter power production and was trying to work out the best point to add them in to my hybrid inverter system. I could add them as a parallel string but was wondering if it would be possible to use micro-inverters or even a second inverter and if simply connecting it in parallel with the hybrid mains AC, would allow the extra power to be diverted in to the batteries?
Would any one happen to know if a second inverter would charge the batteries via the hybrid :unsure:
Yes it can. My system has a mix of Growatt Inverter + Solar + Battery and a Victron Inverter + Battery, I can charge either battery from solar or mains etc.

Yes

Yes it can. My system has a mix of Growatt Inverter + Solar + Battery and a Victron Inverter + Battery, I can charge either battery from solar or mains etc.
Hi john
Thanks for your reply. But will your solar production from your victron inverter charge your batteries on your growatt?

Hi john
Thanks for your reply. But will your solar production from your victron inverter charge your batteries on your growatt?
Its actually the other way round, my solar is attached to my Growatt and it charges the battery connected to both. If I had solar connected to the Victron it would be able to charge the Growatt battery, I can actually charge the Growatt battery from the Victron battery but theres no point in doing that :)

Retrofit batteries not directly connected to an existing solar array will still charge batteries from surplus solar energy.

All battery systems have an amp clamp or meter fitted at the incoming grid meter tails to monitor for surplus energy going to the grid. If they detect surplus energy, they charge the battery at the level of the surplus, effectively stopping energy 'escapin' to the grid. Likewise, if they detect energy being drawn from the grid, they release stored energy to match demand in your house.

Hi
Yes, hybrid inverters are like retrofit AC battery inverters but with added PV inputs. I have used them with direct PV and AC inverters. Also you can add them to existing AC PV inverters with the possibility to expand by adding DC PV later. Just watch the total inverter loading is not exceeded. There is probably a small extra loss in the inverter AC-DC section over straight DC PV inputs. Also the AC inverter will have extra losses, so DC-AC-DC is less efficient than hybrid's DC-DC-battery

Last edited: