Hybrid inverter - charging battery from grid query

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bladerunnerpv

Reaction score
Hi folks,

wonder if someone can help with a query please on hybrid inverters

A hybrid inverter can be used to charge the connected battery with energy from solar PV panels, and convert to AC to power electrical items in the house or export to grid. A DC coupled system

So in principle the following energy routes, ignoring the consumer unit

panels DC--> hybrid inverter to AC 240V --> house AC 240V
panels DC--> hybrid inverter to AC 240V --> grid AC 240V
panels DC--> hybrid inverter to DC 50 volts --> battery
battery DC 50V --> hybrid inverter AC 240V --> house AC 240V
battery DC 50V --> hybrid inverter AC 240V --> grid AC 240V

I read somewhere (darn it I can't remember where) that it's possible to charge the battery connected to a hybrid inverter from the grid, so

grid AC 240V --> hybrid inverter to DC 50 volts --> battery
then all the above DC coupled functionality is possible

I had it fairly firmly in my head, from everything else I've read, that charging battery from the grid was only possible via an AC coupled inverted

Or are there some "multipurpose" inverters out there now?

Thanks

Hi folks,

wonder if someone can help with a query please on hybrid inverters

A hybrid inverter can be used to charge the connected battery with energy from solar PV panels, and convert to AC to power electrical items in the house or export to grid. A DC coupled system

So in principle the following energy routes, ignoring the consumer unit

panels DC--> hybrid inverter to AC 240V --> house AC 240V
panels DC--> hybrid inverter to AC 240V --> grid AC 240V
panels DC--> hybrid inverter to DC 50 volts --> battery
battery DC 50V --> hybrid inverter AC 240V --> house AC 240V
battery DC 50V --> hybrid inverter AC 240V --> grid AC 240V

I read somewhere (darn it I can't remember where) that it's possible to charge the battery connected to a hybrid inverter from the grid, so

grid AC 240V --> hybrid inverter to DC 50 volts --> battery
then all the above DC coupled functionality is possible

I had it fairly firmly in my head, from everything else I've read, that charging battery from the grid was only possible via an AC coupled inverted

Or are there some "multipurpose" inverters out there now?

Thanks
Youre correct, to my knowledge ALL hybrid inverters can charge the batteries from the grid. My two Growatt SPH and Victron Multiplus definitely do.

Yes AC to battery is inherent in a hybrid inverter. There are some so called retrofit AC battery inverters that just don't have PV inputs, but you can always fit a hybrid to do the same job, they may be marginally more expensive, but allow you the future expansion to add more PV. Hybrid costs will probably reduce due economies of scale relative to the retrofit AC ones.

Latest posts