Can an electrician change the Economy 7 timer in a smart meter?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

catwin1

Reaction score
Hello, I need advice concerning my smart meter setup please. I am on Economy 7 and I have storage heaters and a hot water tank connected to a separate CU for my off-peak usage. The timer that switches to the off-peak circuit at night on my newly installed SMETS2 smart meter is wrong so I am being overcharged by 50% for my night appliances. The supplier tells me that they cannot change this (contrary to everything I have seen online) and that I need to ask an electrician to do this.
Can someone please confirm?
Thank you

Can you post a picture of your meter? is it 4 wire or 5 wire (big wires out of the bottom)

No an electrician can't change anything it is the suppliers issue.

My only input to this thread is you read a LOT of problems about smart meters not working properly with E7, so my advice is if you have E7 or E10, then refuse to have a smart meter and stay with the old reliable dumb dual rate meter. Those just seem to work with very few issues.

I would contact the CEO of your electricity company, tell them the issues and say if the issue is not corrected in 1 month and with a plan to compensate for the wrong charging up to the point it is corrected, then you want the smart meter removed and the previous standard dual rate meter put back.

Thank you all for your replies.

It is a 5-port SMETS2 smart meter and I do not have access to the timer as the off-peak circuit is controlled by an ALCS inside the meter itself. (It's an old setup, with old storage heaters).

I ended up switching to a different supplier today, after 7 weeks of trying to explain what needs to be done to them, for them to say it's not their job.

Latest posts