Can Anyone Help With Pc Problem ?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evans Electric

TEF LINUX ADMIN™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can't open the DVD drive drawer.

HP tower type computer .

Working with Windows Vista

Edit :-     Its bloody well opened now , been trying for 1/2 hour

Last edited by a moderator:
if its FUBAR'd Deke Im fairly sure I have one kicking arond you can have,

not 100% sure if its a DVD writer though, or what colour it is,

pretty easy to change, plug out, plug in, even Brian could change one.

Thanks Stepps ....'aint this Forum great ?  ...  Perhaps I shoud join :innocent    Thanks guys.

Found the hole although it s functioning again at the moment but I've taken the paperclip method on board .

Andy I'll try the right click method next time  ,  ( I had figured out the purpose of the "Eject" button BTW   :innocent    Well Brian showed me  :C )

In 15 minutes of   posting....   Four sets of advice and the offer of a drive ......one of the main reasons I'm glad the Forum was saved    :Salute :Applaud

PS  I did upgrade the RAM in this PC ...without asking Brian .    ( From 1 something to 4 somethings )

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Stepps ....'aint this Forum great ? ... Perhaps I shoud join :innocent Thanks guys.

Found the hole although it s functioning again at the moment but I've taken the paperclip method on board .

Andy I'll try the right click method next time , ( I had figured out the purpose of the "Eject" button BTW :innocent Well Brian showed me :C )

In 15 minutes of posting.... Four sets of advice and the offer of a drive ......one of the main reasons I'm glad the Forum was saved :Salute :Applaud

PS I did upgrade the RAM in this PC ...without asking Brian . ( From 1 something to 4 somethings )
Megabytes?

There is a tiny little hole (pin size)

Where is this tiny hole?  My PC sometimes

misbehaves in a similar fashion.

I will have a look for that when I get home.  Right now I

have to tap the top of the case sometimes to get the

****** to open.

No;  was talking about the computer (laughs up sleeve).

The drive has a flap that closes over the drive tray when

it inserts and takes the disc in.

So I still have to tap the top of the case to get the ******

to open.

I am still talking about the computer. :innocent

Don't think so Evans;  That stuff could be deadly

in one of these.  It attracts more damp and fluff

that soft mick.

Once helped a young lady out when her car was

caput.  Had to manually dry out the HT leads to

stop the spark tracking on the outside so that it

would fire.

(But back to the computer.....)

Not all drives have the manual release hole - and some early apple computers were notorious for not having them or in fact any sort of manual eject button at all.

Canoe boy, yep there are a number of alternative ways 5% of users could open it, but as I recall (and this I'd a bit historical) the real problem came when the system totally failed with a disk in and had to be returned for service. People were reluctant to send off their install disks pron collections, secret presentations etc ...

Jammed eject mechanisms used to be the highlight of VCR and camcorder bench servicing back in the day as well