Can I do this ?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Danny

Reaction score
Can one light switch be used to operate two separate lights from different circuits ? Like this ...

Lights.jpg

I'm not sure why this is confusing me, just having a blonde moment I guess ..

Trying to work out how to add to existing in a customers cellar .. very limited access to existing wiring but found a supply fairly nearby .. hence this idea ..

Can't you just take it off the switched live side of the existing light?

I think there's some confusion in your question. Firstly, if they are from 2 seperate circuits then definitely not, 100% no. If by circuits you mean 2 seperate lighting points then yes, although I'm not sure what you're trying to achieve here? Could do with some more info, what have you got now, what are you adding to it, or trying to add to it?

Also I would not suggest doing it that way as you may think you have isolated a supply but its getting power from another. It could also play havoc with RCD's if they are on seperate ones.

No you're right .. it's a stupid idea and suitably binned ... i'll have a better look for the circuit under the ceiling boards ...

I think there's some confusion in your question. Firstly, if they are from 2 seperate circuits then definitely not, 100% no. If by circuits you mean 2 seperate lighting points then yes, although I'm not sure what you're trying to achieve here? Could do with some more info, what have you got now, what are you adding to it, or trying to add to it?
It would be easier and better to do the connections so that both lamps come on together, at the ceiling rose and just have one 'drop' at the Switch.

It would be easier and better to do the connections so that both lamps come on together, at the ceiling rose and just have one 'drop' at the Switch.
It depends how it's wired. I see Danny has dropped the idea now but there is nothing wrong with wiring 2 lights on the same circuit with the loop in method and then commoning the switch wires together. Ideally you would disconnect 1 feed or the other and make safe so the switch only receives a single feed. I have done this when a wall has been removed and a 2 gang switch has been made into a 1 gang. Obviously if you're starting from scratch then yes, wiring it this way would be odd at best.

Didn't see the bit hidding below the Picture.

Is there any way that you can add to an existing cct, ceiling rose.

If not, You maybe able to come off of a ring main via anFCU that way?

Good enough for one light for the celler?!

It depends how it's wired. I see Danny has dropped the idea now but there is nothing wrong with wiring 2 lights on the same circuit with the loop in method and then commoning the switch wires together. Ideally you would disconnect 1 feed or the other and make safe so the switch only receives a single feed. I have done this when a wall has been removed and a 2 gang switch has been made into a 1 gang. Obviously if you're starting from scratch then yes, wiring it this way would be odd at best.
I know what you mean. It's times like this that Loop in and Out at the Switch (and Neutrals into connector block), :)

Can one light switch be used to operate two separate lights from different circuits ? Like this ...
Lights.jpg

I'm not sure why this is confusing me, just having a blonde moment I guess ..

Trying to work out how to add to existing in a customers cellar .. very limited access to existing wiring but found a supply fairly nearby .. hence this idea ..
no, but you could if you used a DP switch instead.

if it was same circuit, it could be possible (ditching one of the lives in), but different circuits means you have just crossed them together and made it dangerous

Thats what I thought after posting this ... i guess all i was doing was displaying my ineptitude at making a decision and seeing the wood from the trees after a particularly busy day but i spose thats the beauty of this forum .. stupid ideas are politely dismissed :-D