Cat 5 Daisy chain

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
oh yea, so anyone that can be ar5ed has access to it?

and no amount of hiding it or denying MAC adressess is going to do any good for any kind of half smart kid running BT4, or better,

I have over 30 WI-FI here, 29 password locked, 20 mac locked, and all hidden, only 2 that I hadnt cracked in 3 days,

and in all meanings of the phrase, I am computer THICK ,

so if I can do it, what chances have you against a 16 year old geek?

my dads friend is wiring up his house with cat5 at the moment and mentioned daisy chaining them, I've always run individual cables and gone straight into the switch / hub. by the sounds of it, i should be having a word with him.

my dads friend is wiring up his house with cat5 at the moment and mentioned daisy chaining them, I've always run individual cables and gone straight into the switch / hub. by the sounds of it, i should be having a word with him.
Hello John, welcome to the forum. As you say it would be sensible to suggest to your dad's friend to run all data points back as individual radials back to the hub / switch / patch panel. Trying to wire as a daisy chain will inevitably cause problems later. Also why not pop over to our Introduce Yourself section and tell us a bit about who you are? Introduce Yourself

Doc H.

For my 1p's worth

1) Never daisy chain CAT 5/6 it was never designed to work this way, always hub > point

2) Always wire to the accepted convention e.g. 568B, think of the poor ****** who follows later to sort things out

3) Although you can use the splitters I don't see it as the solution and forget about PoE if you do

4) As Steps points out a switch is cheap and solves the problem of multiple PC's (or devices), and you are never likely to saturate the bandwidth in a domestic environment, aside the fact that a switch will recognise high volume node to node traffic and deal with it cause that's what the "Switch" in the name refers too

Oh and wireless complements a wired network I've never found a site where it was singularly the solution aside the fact that if Steps can break the encryption you should be very afraid!!!

Unfortunately at 100M they're not just wires, it's a transmission line. Google "transmission line theory" and read about mid-point reflections. The easy solution is to go with your original idea of dual outlets and patch leads.

Unfortunately at 100M they're not just wires, it's a transmission line. Google "transmission line theory" and read about mid-point reflections. The easy solution is to go with your original idea of dual outlets and patch leads.
And your point transmission line is relevant to the OP because? ?:|

...because at 100 Mbit/s (or maybe even Gigabit/s rates) the mid point 'sees' the signal, but the signal also carries on to the end of the chain. It will be reflected back down the cable and interfere with the midpoint signal at the receive point. Using dual sockets and patch leads means the transmitter 'sees' a correctly terminated load impedance, with no reflections. It's also important to follow the guidelines on bend radius, pulling force, not-overtightening cable ties, and not undoing too much of the "twist" of the twisted pair; they all contribute to mismatched impedance and can reduce performance.

Or maybe I've mis-understood the OP. In which case, apologies to all.

Or maybe I've mis-understood the OP. In which case, apologies to all.
I'm sure that's a perfectly valid technical reply, possibly TMI though ;)