Ceiling light not working

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks everyone. Not had chance to get back to investigate this but to answer Geoff, I’m confident I have not misunderstood terminals.   Will try and post photos 

View attachment 8834
That should work, bur as above, where is the proper base for the pendant, which is where you should really be terminating the cables.

Well done to @Doc Hudson and @Evans Electric for getting the cable type right.

Have you checked you have not tripped a circuit breaker or blown a fuse?

I was planning on getting rid of the plastic cover and poking cables back in to ceiling and fixing a plaster ceiling rose. Thought it was going to be a quick simple job. How wrong was I! Tried different bulbs I know work so it’s not that. Could there still be something lose in ceiling that I can’t see? 

Not checked fuse as other upstairs lights are working? 

poking the connectors into the ceiling like you are proposing is NOT acceptable and potentially dangerous

quick simple job? sound more like a bodge now

@ProDave i got it right too, just never posted it. does that count?

That’s how the cables were originally, in the ceiling with original fitting. Ok, I will fix the box that came with cable to ceiling. Do I need the plastic cover too but then I won’t be able to fit ceiling rose over because of lack of space behind rose 

just because thats how it was when you started doesnt mean that it was done correctly in the first place and that you can continue to bodge it. also, all connections (unless maintenance free type) need to be accessible. putting them above the plaster rose will make them inaccessible unless you can get to it from above

You normally fit the decorative plaster ceiling rose to the ceiling first, then the electrical ceiling rose onto that. There should be a flat portion in the centre for that.

As above ,   make sure you buy a  plaster rose with big enough flat bit in the centre  so you can screw the ceiling rose base to it .  

Seeing the pics  I'd guess there is no joint box in the ceiling .

You say the light worked fine before you took it down so the problem can only be ;-  

1)  The red or black  in connectors  perhaps connected onto the  insulation  & not the copper.

2)  The flex  connected onto the  insulation & not the copper in the connectors.

3)  The flex not connected properly in the lampholder.

4) The lampholder is faulty.    ( unlikely but...) 

5)  The lamp is duff . 

6)  The  switch needs checking now you have replaced it .  

7)  Without a tester you working in the dark  ..physically and metorphorically .  

8)  I doubt you have "pulled" the wires going into the ceiling as there is no reason for a junction box  , but  there could possibly             be one there  ,  with those two wires sticking out of it ,   can you see up there ?  

9)    Don't fit plaster rose until light is working .  BTW  

Most probably you had just connected a wire wrong at the light fitting. Absolutely no logical reason to replace the light switch if as you say it was all working OK before took down the light fitting. It could be a wire not correctly secured inside a screw terminal in the pendant. Or a faulty bulb?

Doc H
I knew it sparks don't use the expression bulb in grows in the ground  electricians use the term or a faulty lamp?

I knew it sparks don't use the expression bulb in grows in the ground  electricians use the term or a faulty lamp?

Incorrect. As you may note the OP refers to a light not working, So there is very little point referring to luminaires and lights as immediately this would cause a high probability of two parties referring to different things by the same name. A competent electrician will regularly encounter situations where they need to discuss a clients requirements or evaluate some fault symptoms, if they lack the ability to communicate with clients at a level they understand then they will struggle in the world of real work.

Doc H.

@John Clark You have clearly moved here from a competitor failed forum. We have spent an awful lot of time keeping this forum clean and friendly, especially to non-electricians in the DiY section. Now I have been reviewing your posts and I'm going to be watching you very closely. I suggest you take  apiece of advice from my granny " if you can't say anything nice, say nothing at all" .  Posts like the below are not welcome on this forum.

Incorrect. As you may note the OP refers to a light not working, So there is very little point referring to luminaires and lights as immediately this would cause a high probability of two parties referring to different things by the same name. A competent electrician will regularly encounter situations where they need to discuss a clients requirements or evaluate some fault symptoms, if they lack the ability to communicate with clients at a level they understand then they will struggle in the world of real work.

Doc H.

I, more often than not refer to 'the fusebox' when talking to a domestic customer,

what does 'consumer unit' mean to the average person.?

just ask any bloke in the pub how many plug-sockets he has in his living room and he will simply give you a number, not question your terminology

6 plugs often means 3 double sockets, fusebox I use all the time, and my wife calls lamps bulbs to annoy me, but she is from the darkside  :slap

I see little,point in trying to belittle customers.....seems a poor business model to me.

they are paying my mortgage and wages

if they want to call a lamp,a "bulb" then why not

I talk of meggering, green sleeve, ring main, fusebox......if someone wants me to change then good luck with that one

I would never be knowingly condescending ...that means talking down to people

I see little,point in trying to belittle customers.....seems a poor business model to me.

they are paying my mortgage and wages

if they want to call a lamp,a "bulb" then why not

I talk of meggering, green sleeve, ring main, fusebox......if someone wants me to change then good luck with that one

I would never be knowingly talking down to people

what about midgets.?

doest thou kneel before themest.?

Hands up all those who've had a customer say "can you fit me a new plug over there"?  When they actually want an additional socket fitted! logic and common sense normally take priority over technically correct terminology.

Doc H.

Latest posts