Certification question

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dozer51

Reaction score
Hi folks,
I'm having a bathroom installed. The guys doing the work have done some electrical work. Electric shower, new ceiling light, extractor, shower pump, illuminated cabinet and moved a couple sockets (not sockets but the boxes the boiler and washing machine wire into) I'm 99% certain that the work needs to be certified, but was under the impression that the work can be carried out by the guys doing the work on my bathroom, and then inspected and certified by a qualified electrician. Is that correct, or should all the work be done by an electrician?
The bathroom installation quote includes the derails of an NICEIC electrician (who we've checked) I assumed this was the person who would be doing the inspection/certification. They have not been in attendance during the work so far though.
Thank you in advance.

Sadly it is the weak system that is permitted to be employed with these type of companies.
The fitters do all the work and a two bit electrician turns up to test and certificate without having seen the job being installed.

I don’t think that the NICEIC allowed 3rd party sign off
What does it matter whether it is NICEIC or not, signing any certificate is potentially evidence for the prosecution, so why would any electrician sign off work that they have not done which could / may land them in court at a later date if an incident occurs

3rd party sign off should never be allowed as it is only likely to lead to fake or dodgy certificates

What does it matter whether it is NICEIC or not, signing any certificate is potentially evidence for the prosecution, so why would any electrician sign off work that they have not done which could / may land them in court at a later date if an incident occurs

3rd party sign off should never be allowed as it is only likely to lead to fake or dodgy certificates
I would not.

Earlier in the year I was asked to go and look an extension to wire it, it was clear it was going to be a pretty poor job mostly DIY by the house owner and the existing wiring looked an outdated mess, so I did not do the job.

Just the other day I get a message, "Building control want a certificate, can you help" The abbreviated version of my reply was "NO"

absolutely no way would I do it. Its a special location so its notifiable. Needs to be inspected at every stage of the job so might as well be done by a proper spark.

Only notifiable if in zones …. Unless you’re in Wales 😀

Locked to prevent being resurrected (again)

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.