Building Control

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, I'm after a pointer in the right direction in regards to building control. Over the coming months I will be undertaking a complete rewire of my own house and garage (including C.U replacement) as part of the properties renovation. I intend to carry out all of the installation work by myself. I consider myself to be competent to do this work due to my background in the aerospace industry (electrical/electronics). I have also taken my 18th edition and 2393-101 Certificate in the Building Regulations for Electrical Installations in Dwellings (Part P) exams.

Before starting, I made an application to my Local Authority to give notification of my intentions. I paid the fee including an extra fee for the inspection and testing. The LA have now come back to me and said I can start the work but they no longer provide this service and that I will need a Part P electrician to sign off my work.

I'm a little confused now as to the paperwork I will need to get in place.

1. I know that other electricians won't provide me with an EIC as I will have done the installation (totally get that). With my current qualifications, would it be acceptable to produce my own EIC?

2. Or, is it just a case of when I have completed the installation, call in and pay a Part P registered electrician to carry out a full EICR, and then submit that to the LA?

Any advice, other peoples experiences would be welcome on this.
My Advice? You should have just done it. in the real world nobody will give a crap.

The people next door to me built an extension. they DID have structural calcs, but then installed the beams the wrong way round. They did NOT have building regs approval, sold the house without a problem, and the new people had to take out insurance in case the building regs people ever started on them.

We live in a country were the prime minister was charged by the police and so now has a criminal conviction and was found guilty of deliberately misleading parliament and hence the queen.

In the grand scale of things, if you want to rewire your own house, crack on..

john..

Thanks for all of the replies today. Regarding my degree and HNC, I deliberately didn't mention them at the start as they were not relevent to what I am trying to achieve, however the 18th edition and Part P are. I certainly didn't come on here and say 'I've got a degree etc therefore I must be able to rewire a house'. Another person asked the question what 'other' qualifications I had, so I answered.

Thank you johnb2713 for your comments.

Thanks also to Phoenix and mort for addressing my original questions. Phoenix, to answer your question -

"I don't think the LABC can just refuse to del with the electrical parts of the job, its not clear if thats what your are saying has happened, or whether they have just said they are unable to arrange someone to do the inspection and testing part of the job which they previously did for an extra fee?"

Yes, this is what has happened, I gave notice however they are unable to arrange for somebody to do the inspection and testing. I had hoped they would have been able to oversee my work and specify at what stages they want to inspect. Your post has however made things a lot clearer for me.

To be absolutely clear on this, I have no intention at all of undertaking the inspection and testing myself and will look to get a Part P registered electrician to do this for me, either on the EIC I produce, or if not acceptable, by a full EHIC done by said registered person. I will be more than happy to pay a premium for this.

Your "qualifications" mean nothing in the grand scheme of things just pay an electrician to sit there and watch the install they may then be happy to do an EIC.

Thanks for all of the replies today. Regarding my degree and HNC, I deliberately didn't mention them at the start as they were not relevent to what I am trying to achieve, however the 18th edition and Part P are. I certainly didn't come on here and say 'I've got a degree etc therefore I must be able to rewire a house'. Another person asked the question what 'other' qualifications I had, so I answered.

You were actually asked:-
"Have you passed any City & Guilds qualifications relating to the design and installation of electrical circuits?"

I presume not as you have so far failed to mention any?

Understanding of 18th edition & Part P are not considered sufficient by themselves to be considered competent to design, install, test & notify your own work..

That includes the design and installation bit NOT just the testing & signing off.

Most of the recognised scheme providers would not allow you to join with only 18th edition & Part P.

This is yet another thread where the OP isn't getting the agreement or concensus they want or expect and are now turning on those who have posted the true reality of certification
It has to be understood testing, inspection and certification of an installation cannot be considered to be a mere formality without considering what the certificate actually is and what the potential implications for the person producing and signing it may be
While an EICR on a new installation will give some piece of mind given how it can have limitations and caveats can it really replace the elements of the EIC that would / should be carried out by the installing electrician
IMO Part P has never worked as intended with seemingly every LABC having differing policies across the country when dealing with notifiable electrical work and this thread is just one of many that highlights it's failings

But where does all this nanny state stuff stop? Should you electricians be allowed to change a wheel on you van or work on the brakes for instance? The potential to kill / injure people in the event of maintenance / installation being carried out by non certified mechanics is just the same or worse.

But where does all this nanny state stuff stop? Should you electricians be allowed to change a wheel on you van or work on the brakes for instance? The potential to kill / injure people in the event of maintenance / installation being carried out by non certified mechanics is just the same or worse.

We have to jump through hoops, endless new books, exams and membership fees

Are you suggesting a free for all?

Reactions: UNG
We have to jump through hoops, endless new books, exams and membership fees

Are you suggesting a free for all?
I'm suggesting it's not a level playing field for whatever reason. I see little difference in a mechanic adding a socket and an electrician changing a brake calliper. Both present potential danger to the user and the public at large yet one is illegal and the other isn't.

These are old arguments and not relevant. Part P set out with good intentions that being one independent body would govern it unfortunately, that went out of the window hence the farce we now have.

Dare I mention that I do all of my own vehicle maintenance and haven't had to use a garage for at least 15 years, with the exception for M.O.T purposes.

Thread closed. Too much ill feeling.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.