Change of job + some help

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sparkss

DNO Jointer
Reaction score
Hi guys,

Have not posted on here in a very long time due to change of job and sorting it all out,

previously i worked as a jointer for e.on, with the take over looming ect i decided to get out while i could and do what i enjoyed doing...

I now work as a stage Technician in the live music area,

this involves sound engineering, stage distro and lighting design and rigging.

alongside this i also now work for a very well known first aid/ambulance organisation (that i will not mention by name)

since starting i have seen the wonderful world of non qualified people connecting up the temp supply's for the treatment centres ect (good job we have several paramedics knocking around!)

one thing that still gives me confusion is generators, looking back at my training even back to my 2330 its something that we never covered,

would you be able to explain some things to me?

What the KVA ratings equate to eg - in real world how much can be connected

+ several gennies that are used dont have a earth as such,

from reading around ive seen gennies and earthing are in a world of there own! can someone basicly explain that and what to do if we cannot rod it eg in the middle of a city centre

regards

sparkss

the kva is basically how many kw its rated at so for example a heater at 2500 w or 2.5kw would need a genney aprox rated at 3kva this allows the genny to run at approx 75% im sure thats the basics behind it, but im sure someone will add to this / explain more if im off the mark.

BS7909 would be a good place to start

badge - the KVA thing is nothing to do with running it at lower than its rating. a 2.5KW heater would be almost PF1, so 2.5KVA (or close enough). something with a lower PF would be more KVA. still good idea to get a slightly larger genny than required though, there will always be something that wasnt planned and needs plugged in