Chargemaster Causing High Pitched Whine From Sockets..?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chris_k

Reaction score
Just had a call from a client ive done some work for.  One of the first jobs was the wiring for a two storey extension. New ring and a couple of lighting circuits and radials.

Two months ago i fitted a new new larger cu as he needed an extra way for a Chargemaster car charger. Chargemaster came and installed the charger and the car arrived last week. They have only needed to charge the car twice at home but each time they do, one sockets upstairs and the microwave radial cooker switch/socket emits a high pitched whine.

Now i must say i haven't managed to get over there yet, just going on what client says. Hes an engineer for Siemens so he sort of knows what hes on with. He says it sounds like a high pitched sound, not 50hz, more like the sound you sometimes get from a wall wort. 8-9khz. It only does it when the plugs are in and only when the car is charging.

Any thoughts?

IT's difficult to think how the sockets would make a noise so more likely the cable routing / building cavity is conducting noise from the charger (which do make a high pitched noise) into the backs of the sockets. some factor to do with the routing or the air path length being resonant is making particular sockets sound off . . .

Or it could be aliens . .

Don't start mentioning aliens .... there'll be an amendment to the 17th coming through on them next .!!!

I know nothing about those chargers but thinking , as Bruspark , noise conducting if these things do in fact , make a noise.

Interested in the answer though TBH.

Harmonics or high freq PCM switching noise but not sure why or how it would cause resonating at sockets or switches, far more likely to cause the MCB or RCD to buzz.Try installing a filter, shouldn't be expensive and you could even make one yourself.

My first step would be to check the earthing at the charger, check the earth impedance of the final circuit supplying it.

Last edited by a moderator:
It is an odd one. The system is tncs. Chargemaster installer went from a spare unprotected way in cu to their garage cu with a 'special' (!!!??) rcd and mcb apparently. Swa to bottom of the garden to charger.

Im over there on Monday so ill know more then

Canoeboy said:
I have some Chianti and some Toffee popcorn and it doesn't make much noise until eaten or drunk - does that help at all ?
Is that chianti a high pitched wine?

two tin cans, bit of strung pulled tight and you can hear the other end. could the cables be tight?