Cheap Indulgence

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
well, I got one, the Paris one actually, its a tad bigger than the barcelona one and felt heavier, and bit better output seemingly,

sounds spot on for ther money, 19£ on shelf, but £17.50 at the check-out  :)

only 3w RMS though, woulda liked something a bit more pokey for the house tbh, but this is good enough for the shed.

what sort of output is the richer sounds one? couldnt find any info on the link.  :C
Don't have the manual to hand, could have sworn it says 2.5W but this reckons 5W. Will look in the actual manual later:

http://www.bbg.eu.com/Roth_SOF-a.html

that would make sense,

as a general rule of thumb for stuff like this you can half the rated output to get proper rms.
Wife had "tided up" the manual. Box just says "2x5W" though doesn't say what watt is what!

Last edited by a moderator:
For the kitchen I would buy one of those very cheap audio systems with usb port.

The speakers cover shoud be plastic (no fabric net) to avoid fat to acummulate in it.

About brand, I would buy the cheapest chinese device you can find.

I think audio systems in kitchens don`t last a lot. It is not the best enviroment, so don´t spend much money.

Well pleased with the Roth Bluetooth speaker thingy. Wife uses it the most but by playing MP3's from MY phone! So thinking get a CHEAP tablet and load a load of her faves onto it. Must have a decent Bluetooth on it so I was thinking a Blackberry as much as anything for longevity and build quality. This:

http://www.aria.co.uk/SuperSpecials/Other+products/Blackberry+Playbook+7%22+Tablet+PC+Dual+Core+64GB+WiFi+-+Grade+A++%2B+FREE+RAPID+CHARGER+?productId=56224

Anything better (as cheap / cheaper)?

Last edited by a moderator:
well, let me know if you figure out an easy way to download music on the blackberry,

I mostly use the wifes for digital radio.
Not really planned to even use it on the net as such, more as a portable store for existing MP3 stuff from the PC and old CDs that I rip.

well, let me know the easy way of transferring your files onto it,

I havent tried that much, but it does seem to be a bit of a long winded process tbh.

I got fed up and just use it for internet radio mostly now,  :|

I read somewhere that with the Playbook you have to "sign up" or something to Blackberry before you can get on the net etc as in there's privacy issues etc?

I read somewhere that with the Playbook you have to "sign up" or something to Blackberry before you can get on the net etc as in there's privacy issues etc?
dunno,

I'll ask the missus next time I see her, shes in bed by time Im home these days, and Im out again before shes up,  :|

Well...............took it back to the store, different bloke serving and he found another. Works a treat from the phone. Having aggro though getting it to work with the Bluetooth enabled Windoze PC. Under Xp Pro I I right click on an MP3 then "Send To" then "Bluetooth device" and basically it's not having it! Can't remember what the Bluetooth dongle make is etc.....maybe wrong driver?
the "right click > send to bluetooth device" is for sending files, so you are trying to share a file. what you need to do instead is pair the speaker with the computer, and in the bluetooth settings, make sure that some kind of audio device is listed (will have to check, its been a while).

i THINK, thats it. it should just play through the bluetooth speakers instead of whatever is connected to the soundcard.

this does need the correct drivers to be installed for the bluetooth device.

Just for reference, I don't even use a dock as I'm loving my Jam 2 speaker that I got from Tesco. They're a little bit pricey at 40 odd quid but it's bluetooth and has a 3.5mm jack, and it's compact! Great sound too, and if you get two of them, you can wirelessly pair them for stereo sound :)  

the "right click > send to bluetooth device" is for sending files, so you are trying to share a file. what you need to do instead is pair the speaker with the computer, and in the bluetooth settings, make sure that some kind of audio device is listed (will have to check, its been a while).

i THINK, thats it. it should just play through the bluetooth speakers instead of whatever is connected to the soundcard.

this does need the correct drivers to be installed for the bluetooth device.
Been a while since the question was asked, 17 Sept 2103 -> your answer 8 April 2014. Although half a year is shorter than a few of your replies. It is quite probably irrelevant now at this late stage.

Doc H.

Latest posts