Claiming back my tax?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thomas123

Reaction score
Hi,

Looking for some advice about what I can claim for, at the moment im using this accountancy firm to claim back the miles that i do when commuting to work, but not in work.

Im insuring my car for business use at the end of this month as my firm are expecting me to use my car inside of work time.... a lot... and they dont pay me any extra.

I get paid the jib apprentice rate with own transport but this nowhere near covers the fuel i use. Its like

I'd tell your employer that you are not willing to do business miles unless they pay you the going rate travelling.. I used yo get something like 40p 20 years ago, don't know what it is now. AFAICR you cannot claim to and from a fixed place place of work as an employed person either.

I agree with what NozSpark says traveling to and from your normal place of work is an expense that every person is expected to pay themselves. There are no allowances for these costs, unless rules have changed? My understanding was that the mileage allowance figures were intended to cover servicing and maintenance cost of the average vehicle. Assuming a modest 30mpg 40p per mile is

Just re-reading the OP (now on laptop) it sounds like you are employed and that most of what you are trying to claim is counted as personal expenses

As an employed person (PAYE) you ae expected to pay the to and from a fixed place of work and all you cars running expenses - you cannot claim them back against tax

Now, if your employer asks you to use your car to get to site etc. then you must notify your insurance company that you are intending to use your car for business use and pay the required premium. You should also note your "businness mileage" and present this claim to your employer who should pay you a travelling allowance (like I say I was paid 40p/mile 20 years ago) this allowance will be added to your pre tax pay which is then obviously taxed. One thing to note is that if your normal commute is 20 miles and for some reason you go direct to site or go home directly from site then you should only claim the difference in mileage (if any)

The only things I can think of that you can claim for as an employed person are washing your work "uniform" and possibly any personal tools that you have to buy

TBH I would see if you can get a free hour with an accountant to get an idea of what you can claim for,, but in the end it may not be worth putting in a tax claim as you'd have to fill out quite a bit of paperwork and it would definately not be worth employing an accountant

Your mileage expenses should not be taxed as income as they are expenses Noz, mine never were when I used a company car, nor for the use of a private car.

Legitimate out of pocket expenses incurred in the pursuance of your job should be refunded in full, not taxed.

There is a form that you employer must fill in the number escapes me at the moment.

They must fill this in if anyone including the directors have expenses paid.

That is also a good one, depends if you are an emplyee or an employer, I get the feeling the OP is an employee (although waiting for confirmation of this).

If he is I would suggest getting another accountant, because miles travelled to your place of work can't be claimed

Going back 20 years my expenses were tax free then and have remained so since, in fact ever since I have received reimbursement of legitimiate business expenses, which started back in the late 80's which has gone on since then until now regularly, they have always been tax free.

Thing is if you purchase something for the companies use then why should you have to pay income tax on the money you spent out on it when it is repaid?

Sorry if my reply was a bit abrupt, I'm popping back and fore here whilst writing an engineering report on my investigations into a fire at a local school, where by the original report seems to me totally inadequate and incorrect!

Thus the original report has annoyed me a little!

It is so wrong it's unbelieveable, and considering the fire caused a full alarm and evacuation of a comprehensive school, along with a full blown blues and two's attendance of a couple of fire appliances, this just seems wrong!!!

Hi,Looking for some advice about what I can claim for, at the moment im using this accountancy firm to claim back the miles that i do when commuting to work, but not in work.

Your question makes it sound like you are employed PAYE, not self employed. In which case you are not eligable to claim back any expenses for getting to your normal place of work. (ie the office, if that's where you go to first each morning)

Im insuring my car for business use at the end of this month as my firm are expecting me to use my car inside of work time.... a lot... and they dont pay me any extra.

Ordinarily, as an employee, if you use your own vehicle for business mileage, your firm would refund your expenses. This is usually on a mileage basis, the HMRC approved mileage rate being 40ppm. If your firm pays this amount then you are 'square' with HMRC. If the firm pays less than 40ppm you can claim the difference against tax. If your firm pays you more than 40ppm you will be taxed on the excess.

I get paid the jib apprentice rate with own transport but this nowhere near covers the fuel i use. Its like

PC,

This is a P11DX, slightly different to a P11D.

The copy of the P87 I have along side me says it is for employees.

Sorry mate but this does not tie up with some of your comments above.

Aaron, I think they're taking the pi$$ TBH , using you as a free van . At the moment you are not insured to carry their goods , they are wearing your car out for you ,clocking up the miles for their benefit, and we all know about the price of petrol/diesel . I presume that having to go to the office each day , you don't get any travel time either .

No , the whole thing is wrong , you shouldn't be having to re-insure your car for their benefit .

You should just be driving straight to the job and home , fetching mats is not your problem.

Latest posts