Computer Virus?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

welshwizard

Honorary Life Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

I am hoping a PC Techy can help me here.  It appears that my childrens pc has a virus or malware that has deleted or possibley renamed the following files:

• WINNIT.dll
  • iertutil.dll
  • MSHTML.dll
They are not in the "recycle bin".  By the Way, it is running on on a HP system, with Widows 7 (no wise cracks) and is a 64 bit.

It won't let me place items on my desktop into a folder, it won't let me open Internet Explorer, the firewall and Antivirus have been disabled and will not let me re-enable them, update them or check the PC with them, it says that things that I try to download have been saved to desktop, where i selected them to, but there is nothing there - nothing has downloaded.

I have download, onto USB memory stick and from another PC, the above files, and placed them in C:\windows\system32 folder where they're supposed to be, apparently, but there is a chance they could or should be somewhere else.  Where else should/could they be located?  as it still comes up with the startup error etc and when I open IE.

I have managed to get rid of a nusience "searchnu.com/406" virus thingy.

I have tried a system restore from various points, but it won't work, I have even started the PC in Safe Mode, and still have the same issue in that.

Help from a Techy guy (or Gal) to a Non Techy Guy, in plain English, would be appreciated.

Oh,  I do beg your pardon - Happy New to you All.

GfxUI-has-stopped working.png

Fixed now! I think you must have spoken in computer code in the title. Since renaming the post all seems to be working!

:D

Is there anything you need to save or could you wipe and start fresh?

If you need to salvage data then either burn a Ubuntu boot disc or just remove the hard drive and see if you can access it with another computer as an external drive.

Then wipe and start fresh

My other thread has disappeared?!

Anyway, placed the named .dll files into both C:\windows\system and C:\windows\system32 it shows "the ordinal 58 could not be located in the dynamic link library iertutil.dll"

Also, the messages on start up, have been replaced with cannot find "urlmon.dll". WTF?!

Apparently, this happens due a power failure before windows has finished updating too and may not not neccessarily, have a virus etc.

Forgot to add that I did not have a windows 7 Home Premium disc with the tower, as it was all pre-loaded onto the machine when we bought it new from Comet, last year or the year before.

I have an original XP disc here, but have lost the code key for it. I do not have a Windows 7 disc here at all.

:(

Do you know the Win 7 license key for the tower? It should have a license sticker on it somewhere with the code on it. If you have the code you can use any Win7 premium disk to reinstall and as long as it's the same service pack it should register using your code. 

Given the extent of the damage to your system I would say a reinstall is the only option.

If it was supplied with no disk then you most likely have a ghost partition with the os on it.

Hitting a F key on boot will normally give you an option of restore to factory default or try and repair.

Did you not have any ant-virus or malware protection in place.

You can do a virus search from.CD using Ubuntu, I cant remember the name of the deffo right now, and am at work,

Will get it for you when I get home if no one else sorts it.

I can drop box you Win7 if you need it, let me know what flavour.

have you got your files off the HDD yet? you can do this by using a Ubuntu CD/DVD and booting from that, it will then allow you to get your files and put them on an external drive.

I did start to Noz. But - only had four at the time and it used them four and wanted more. That is the first time that that has ever happened to me.

Thanks Steps.

still uploading welshie, its 4GB  :eek:

and my connection is mega slow, its waaaaaaaay to big for dropbox, so Ive had to start again with something else,

actually, it might be quicker to just copy and post it to you,   :)

Steps,

You are a Gentleman and a Scholar, mate. Do you have my address? I will PM you just in case.

Can you pop in the post Tomorrow, 1st class please mate? I will cost the cost, naturally. :)

Many thanks.

Oh, was there a forum meet this christmas?

I still can't do anything with the PC, it won't even load from disc.

Missing this or missing that. (.dll)

Poxy thing - I am not computer sav, but - have tried a lot of things (Googled them) an none have worked.

I am prevented from doing everything that I have tried. Grrr!