Concerned.

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
dont you go blamin' Brian :C
i have seen it he goes through them like there skittles, washes it all down withGuinnessGuinnessGuinnessGuinness then the maddness begins

Steps I am trying to understand this on a modern house with plastic services. If you loose the incoming neutral surely nothing will work because the circuit is no longer a circuit. The neutral and cpc's are seperate on consumer side so how can the earth rise to 240 volts as it seperate to the neutral?
here a little diagram....

im surprised patch hasnt already found the post i posted this in months ago

SCAN0037-1.jpg

I'm trawling through the links and I have to confess they're doing my head in but I'll get there in the end.

The idea of an independent earth completely separate from everyone elses shoddy wiring and potential earth faults is very appealing.

The idea of not importing other peoples sh1t into the house is also very appealing.

The idea of being insured against a potential lost neutral at the supplier end is again very appealing.

It's just the high resistance to earth of the rod that spooks me.

With a phase to earth fault inside the house the prospective fault current would be so low that no MCB's would operate and I would be solely and completely reliant on RCD's.

One other thing that confuses me.

People keep saying you should never mix earthing systems IE you should never mix a rod with TNCS, the bonding in the house, the gas and water, if they are metal which they are in this house, they are acting like an earth rod anyway. The earth fault loop resistance of the earthed metal work is 18 ohms I know I have measured it, what is that if it isn't an earth rod?

This metal pipework will act like an earth rod and so when (if?) the house is connected to TNCS there will be a mixture of two earthing systems.

Anyway, I shall continue my studies on this matter.

Cheers.