Connecting solar input to an Ecoflow battery - help

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

supertyler

Reaction score
Total amateur here so go easy on me. I have a 500WH portable battery (ecoflow river 2 max). I also have a pair of solar panels (specifically these ones). The panels come with a charge controller.

My objective is to use the panels to charge the battery if possible.

The battery solar input spec states a range of [11-50V, 13A, 220W Max]. I understand the ecoflow battery has an integrated MPPT so is able to receive power directly from solar panels without the need for a separate charge controller.

The output spec for the panels is 300W / 18V each which exceeds the specified max input Wattage for the battery, so I am concerned the panels may be overpowered, but also recognise that they would likely operate at a lower output.

I need help firstly to understand if this kit can be used together at all, and if it can, what the appropriate setup configuration is. Example questions i have:
- Given the panels list a (max) 300W output, can they be used to feed the 220W max input of the ecoflow at all? Does this risk frying circuits or are these devices capable of managing excess power?
- If compatible, am I correct to assume the ecoflow's integrated charge controller means a separate charge controller is not needed?
- Could both panels be used or would i be restricted to just one?
- If both, I assume the appropriate config would be to wire in series?
- Anything else i need to consider?

Any advice gratefully received! T

Last edited:
Spec says 220w of solar input, so your panels will fry it at a rough guess.

Separate charge controller is useless in this case, that's for direct connection to a battery.

Spec says 220w of solar input, so your panels will fry it at a rough guess.

Separate charge controller is useless in this case, that's for direct connection to a battery.
appreciate the response. Re the input overload, suspect you are right. Re the separate controller, might it be able to reduce the input reaching the battery to something within the acceptable range? is there anything else that can be done to limit the panel output reaching the battery?

appreciate the response. Re the input overload, suspect you are right. Re the separate controller, might it be able to reduce the input reaching the battery to something within the acceptable range? is there anything else that can be done to limit the panel output reaching the battery?
Masking tape on half the panel would work 😁.

I take it you have the gear already?

Given the panels list a (max) 300W output, can they be used to feed the 220W max input of the ecoflow at all? Does this risk frying circuits or are these devices capable of managing excess power?
You dont have to manage excess power, they just have the capability of supplying that. The voltage needs to be within range which it is.

The eco flow manual states:
"Before connecting the solar panel, please ensure that the solar panel’s output voltage is within voltage range to avoid product damage."

You should be fine.

Surely not, the 220w would be the maximum the controller can consume, as long as the voltage is within range it would be OK? Is it not the same as a 3 kW inverter having 5kW of solar feeding it?
There's one way to find out...😃

Inverters are designed to be connected to higher wattages of panels, we don't have anything in the spec for this battery pack to say it can do the same thing. It might be a case of it just charges up faster, it might shut down to protect itself against higher wattages, but as a light weight portable battery, I'm guessing it's meant to be connected to a small portable panel.

Email to the supplier is probably the best option.

There's one way to find out...😃

Inverters are designed to be connected to higher wattages of panels, we don't have anything in the spec for this battery pack to say it can do the same thing. It might be a case of it just charges up faster, it might shut down to protect itself against higher wattages, but as a light weight portable battery, I'm guessing it's meant to be connected to a small portable panel.

Email to the supplier is probably the best option.
Surely the wattage is only relevant to what it can take, the voltage applied being the important factor? The voltage is well within spec how could the panels 'force' excessive current into the unit whilst keeping in voltage specifications?

Response received from the ecoflow product support team - thanks all.

"Thank you for contacting EcoFlow Customer Service.

You can overpanel but the input will be restricted to 220W.

Connecting in series would be the best, just as you've said.

There is no solar charge controller needed as it is built in the power station."