DC HOME - HVDC CL4 / FMPS Solar System (possible)?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DCJohn

Reaction score
Is it possible to make a green, safe, efficient and possible cheaper solar system nowadays?

From my very basic understanding for solar solutions I was thinking something like (ideally get rid of AC/DC inverters if possible):-

PV Array (HVDC) -> MPTT Charger? -> CL4 Transmitter -> CL4 Receiver-> Battery -> CLR Transmitter(s) -> CL4 Receiver(s) / Loads (POE? lights/sensors etc.)

The main purpose is to reduce copper / cables and transfer HVDC safely (CL4) and efficiently (less conversations) between large distances (less voltage drops) without the need of breakers / panels / combiner boxes etc.

Most of solar systems working with 48V, so my noob question is why not going higher (380V?) if now it can be safe with CL4?

References/Keywords: Class 4 / FMPS / UL 1400-1 / Digital-Pulse Current-Electricity / VoltServer / Panduit / CensePower

(I'm also fan of sodium batteries but they still need time and also important to have current available hardware to be able to support this design -eg. BMS/Charger)

Regards,
John

Last edited:
So I started googling "CL4 transmitter" and got the impression it is a very low power POE device.

Where that plays a part in a PV system beats me. But if you feed it with HVDC from a PV string, I doubt it will do anything after a few milliseconds.