Constant voltage LED driver vs plugin AC/DC adapter

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boogs

Reaction score
What are the differences? Can I use an LED driver as a replacement for an AC/DC plugin adapter for small appliances, providing that the voltage matches and the output current rating is the same or higher?

In this particular case the appliance is a small fibre broadband converter box in a location where I want to avoid having a mains socket and the bulky adapter on top.

I've attached images of the original adapter and the LED power supply I want to use to replace it.

Attachments

• original adapter.jpg
    original adapter.jpg
    137.6 KB · Views: 0
  • replacement LED driver.jpg
    replacement LED driver.jpg
    326.1 KB · Views: 0
Personally I wouldn't. The symbol after the 12v on the driver suggests that its not a "normal", DC supply. It may not be properly smoothed and regulated. High frequency noise on it wouldn't be visible on leds but may upset electronic items.
You can get proper DC supply units to wire in but what are you saving? You still have to provide a fused mains supply. Where are you thinking of connecting it?

Personally I wouldn't. The symbol after the 12v on the driver suggests that its not a "normal", DC supply. It may not be properly smoothed and regulated. High frequency noise on it wouldn't be visible on leds but may upset electronic items.
You can get proper DC supply units to wire in but what are you saving? You still have to provide a fused mains supply. Where are you thinking of connecting it?
Hi mate, thanks for your reply. I guess I'm only saving about 25mm depth but the whole thing needs to be boxed in (with vents obviously) so I'm trying to keep it as shallow as possible.

What's the symbol you're referring to? I can only see the line/dotted line DC symbol, which is on both of them. I don't suppose you have a link for an example of a wireable proper DC supply unit?

Thanks, much appreciated!

Ah. You got me there! I would have expected just the two straight lines for DC. Now I'm honestly not sure what the broken line version means, (if anything). I would still have reservations about misusing an led driver though.
Regulated 12 volt units are commonly used in CCTV systems, but would cost more.

Hi mate, thanks for your reply. I guess I'm only saving about 25mm depth but the whole thing needs to be boxed in (with vents obviously) so I'm trying to keep it as shallow as possible.

What's the symbol you're referring to? I can only see the line/dotted line DC symbol, which is on both of them. I don't suppose you have a link for an example of a wireable proper DC supply unit?

Thanks, much appreciated!
The solid line with the broken line below denotes DC. The driver/module you have clearly states for operation with LED modules only and with this information we cannot suggest it is suitable.

Boxing I isn’t a great idea unless it’s easily accessible
Yeah it's not ideal but it's in the baby's room, right by the bed. BT wouldn't move the fibre receiver and it needs power (unlike the old copper line boxes). I'm planning to use a stiff wire mesh for the front and vent holes in the battens above and below to stop things from overheating. The whole thing comes off with two screws.

The solid line with the broken line below denotes DC. The driver/module you have clearly states for operation with LED modules only and with this information we cannot suggest it is suitable.
Yeah that's fair. Sigh... I guess I'll make the box deeper and fit a socket. Thanks all!

I would still like to know what the technical differences between the two types of PSUs are, if anyone has any info.

There is always a danger an LED driver doesn't provide full mains isolation but that one does, that is the fourth symbol across in the shield. To be honest it would probably be fine but you must adhere to the instructions on the driver.