Consumer unit changes for the partially sighted

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So I have a potential customer who has an aged 3036 CU, obviously this needs updating.

My thoughts are that it takes quite a fault, normally, to blow a 3036 fuse - but modern CUs are far more sensitive

So my normal config of RCBO is the way to go but how would they get on with a rcbo trip etc ?

Or am I over thinking this ?

there maybe some merit in using MCBs only, especially for lighting ccts, if the customer will struggle to see the reset button on a RCBO. Ok not fully compliant with todays regs, but I think justifiable under the circumstances.

not really. skipping regs for the convenience of the user is not a good way to go. may as well just leave the 3036 board in
it's not convience, it's safety of the customer. What I'm suggesting improves safety of socket circuits, but leaves lighting in a more reliable sate, basically a 16th edition installation

there maybe some merit in using MCBs only, especially for lighting ccts, if the customer will struggle to see the reset button on a RCBO. Ok not fully compliant with todays regs, but I think justifiable under the circumstances.
Surely it's no different to resetting an MCB? It's the test button that is tiny, or am I missing something. Possibly so,as my meds are quite strong/interesting

I always fit an em light if the customer is elderly. So much easier for them than having to worry about finding a torch if the lights have tripped.

Ask your customer if they can see a particular colour difference better and print the labels for the board with those colours.

And add a larger print layout strip.

The reset buttons are not going to be a problem because let's be honest how many people actually test their rcd or rcbos every 6 months ???

Surely it's no different to resetting an MCB? It's the test button that is tiny, or am I missing something. Possibly so,as my meds are quite strong/interesting
I'm thinking about keeping the lights working to aid with the visual impairment, not tripping out for some minor fault that would trip RCBO but not MCB. My neighbours daughter was partially sighted, she was ok during the daytime, but suffered from loss of vision at night, so fumbling about trying to reset a RCBO she would have struggled with.

I fitted natural daylight florries in the kitchen so she could see what she was doing - cooking being a big part of her life.

I have an NM3 above my board ( it's under the stairs 1926 semi ) the NM3 is set to switchable so it works as the normal light and also illuminates if the Gf light cct trips. I've done this a few tims and customer has always been impressed with it
I've seen one manufacturer that has a small light above the breakers so iT lights when lid is raised, maybe battery powered

I've just redecorated the hallway of my bungalow, replacing the light fittings with downlights and including one of the 1 watt escape lights which only needs a 35mm cutout.

https://cpc.farnell.com/pro-elec/pel00583/led-emergency-spotlight-non-maintd/dp/LA06842
It's over the meter cupboard as well as being on the main route to the front door. The charge light is surprisingly bright and acts as a night-light for visits to the bathroom.

Latest posts