Consumer Unit Fire - Electrical Fire - Fuse Box Fire Will let the pictures do the talking!

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Picture 899 is where fire started in the cutout and there was a single phase meter in that position that blew itself up. Not sure of the cause.

Yes what was wrong with the first one?

So the cut out / meter caught fire. WHY? Was it really overloaded? 6" nail instead of fuse? I guess you will never know.

I take it you are quoting for a rewire?

Bet you had some problems getting some test results. I'd recommend to upgrade to 17th edition rather than try and do anything with that board. Oh don't forget to check your bonding sizes.

On a serious note. It clearly shows the need for a level of competence in the installing person to ensure design safety.

On a serious note. It clearly shows the need for a level of competence in the installing person to ensure design safety.
But something is fishy to me. In this case it was the meter / head that exploded and caused the fire, NOT the CU or house wiring.

Granted the consumer might have been overloading the installation, but then I would have expected more problems with the install (not just the cowboy state of the installation)

But IF the consumer was overloading the installation, the DNO's fuse should have protected the head and the meter. That's IF there was still a fuse in the carrier.

There's more to this one that we will probably never know.

It is a shame more DIY homeowner cant see some of these sorts of pictures, it may make then realise some of the dangers of poor quality electrical work.

Doc H.