Convector Heaters

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

silhillron

Reaction score
morning
i live in a one level apartment , would like to replace a small 1250w basic convector heater with a 2500w convector heater
on my fuse box there are two separate trip switches marked convector heater which suggests to me two separate circuits
if I install the new 2500w heater it would replace in the same location the existing 1250w heater
the existing heater is wired to a box that has a single switch to isolate it and immediately to the right is another box that has an accessible fuse
the apartment has in total five basic convector heaters in various locations
can I replace the existing 1250w heater with a 2500w heater and use together one other existing convector heater in an adjacent bedroom which is a 750w

thanks silhillron

morning
i live in a one level apartment , would like to replace a small 1250w basic convector heater with a 2500w convector heater
on my fuse box there are two separate trip switches marked convector heater which suggests to me two separate circuits
if I install the new 2500w heater it would replace in the same location the existing 1250w heater
the existing heater is wired to a box that has a single switch to isolate it and immediately to the right is another box that has an accessible fuse
the apartment has in total five basic convector heaters in various locations
can I replace the existing 1250w heater with a 2500w heater and use together one other existing convector heater in an adjacent bedroom which is a 750w

thanks silhillron
disappointed no replies am I explaining my issue clear enough
thanks silhillron

I haven’t seen this thread before.

In principle the answer is a definite maybe!

Do you know which circuit breaker isolates this heater and does it isolate a single heater or a number?

Hope this helps

2 heater circuits and 5 heaters.

You need to work out which heaters are fed from which circuit breakers (turn each CB off one at a time and see which heaters go off)

Then when you know how many are on the circuit breaker feeding the heater you want to change, come back and tell us the rating of each heater and the rating of the circuit breaker.

Murdock, thanks for your interest in my query will isolate each circuit breaker and check what heaters are off each circuit and get back to you
silhillron

disappointed no replies am I explaining my issue clear enough
thanks silhillron
thanks ProDave and binky with Murdock in taking an interest in my issue, firstly apologies if I came over impatient I had many people reading my initial post with no replies and assumed I had not explained clearly
on the circuit I want to fit a new convector heater (now 2000w instead of the proposed 2500w) there are two other existing convector heaters one being a 500w and the other 1250w
i don’t use the 1250 w it is always off with an adjacent switch
i don’t know the rating of the circuit breaker / MCB or cable size do you have enough info to advise
thanks silhillron

So your modified circuit would have a 2000W, a 500W and a 1250W heater, a total of 3750W. That totals about 16 amps.

So as long as the circuit breaker for that circuit is 16A or more you will be okay. If you don't know the rating of the one that is there, post a close up picture of it please.

If it is one of the ones labelled "storage heating" (even though they are panel heaters) then they are both rated at 32A so you will be fine with your new bigger heater.

If it is one of the ones labelled "storage heating" (even though they are panel heaters) then they are both rated at 32A so you will be fine with your new bigger heater.
it is the one,s labelled storage heaters thank you all for your knowledge and help - silhillron