Cooker Circuit Fuse Question

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

st99

Reaction score
Hi all,

I've just purchased a new electric cooker to replace our current electric one.

The specs on Curry's say it requires a 37.5amp fuse. How will I know if my current circuit will support this? I'm keen to avoid any potential avoidable trips or more concerning, the potential of cable overheating and fires.

If your existing cooker is on a 32a fuse already then I would be 90% certain that the fuse could be changed to a 40a.

However I would get it checked as there are several potential issues that could crop up.

It's also possible that 37.5a is the maximum load it could draw if you turned everything on at once from cold, which is a very unlikely scenario.

But according to the regs equipment must be installed to manufacturers instructions or noted as a deviation. And as to the best of my knowledge there is no such thing as a 37.5a fuse there is definitely going to be a deviation.

Hi all,

I've just purchased a new electric cooker to replace our current electric one.

The specs on Curry's say it requires a 37.5amp fuse. How will I know if my current circuit will support this? I'm keen to avoid any potential avoidable trips or more concerning, the potential of cable overheating and fires.
The protective device (almost certainly NOT a fuse these days) will (should) be sized to protect the cable to avoid the potential of cable overheating and fires.

Curry’s specs are a load of rubbish and is a typical example of manufactures instructions being wrong (though I doubt if Curry’s are the manufacturers anyway).

Two things wrong:
No one uses fuses in this century they use MCBs.
There are no 37,5 amp fuses or MCBs.

Good job there is no longer a requirement to follow MI, only to take account of them. So take account and dismiss them as they are wrong.

A standard cooker circuit is a 32 amp MCB and 4mm cable, though 6mm is often used.

If that is what you have there is no need to worry.

Some people worry that on Xmas day with everything on it will trip yet we never get posts at this time of the year saying it has happened. .

The protective device (almost certainly NOT a fuse these days) will (should) be sized to protect the cable to avoid the potential of cable overheating and fires.

Curry’s specs are a load of rubbish and is a typical example of manufactures instructions being wrong (though I doubt if Curry’s are the manufacturers anyway).

Two things wrong:
No one uses fuses in this century they use MCBs.
There are no 37,5 amp fuses or MCBs.

Good job there is no longer a requirement to follow MI, only to take account of them. So take account and dismiss them as they are wrong.

A standard cooker circuit is a 32 amp MCB and 4mm cable, though 6mm is often used.

If that is what you have there is no need to worry.

Some people worry that on Xmas day with everything on it will trip yet we never get posts at this time of the year saying it has happened. .

I very much doubt that Curry’s are the manufacturer

Thanks all. So we have 6mm cabling and a 32AMP rating at the MCB on cooker circuit.

I did think that 37.5amp was a strange number initially. Model is hotpoint - hd5v92kcb

This isn't a large cooker by any means. It's a pretty simple 50cm domestic cooker.

Am I safe in thinking this SHOULD just be a aimp swap around?

Thanks all. So we have 6mm cabling and a 32AMP rating at the MCB on cooker circuit.

I did think that 37.5amp was a strange number initially. Model is hotpoint - hd5v92kcb

This isn't a large cooker by any means. It's a pretty simple 50cm domestic cooker.

Am I safe in thinking this SHOULD just be a aimp swap around?
It will be fine as it is, the chances of pulling the full load is basically nil, unless you decide to turn everything on at full blast for some strange reason.

It seems that someone has decided to( or scipted the site to) add up all the ratings of each element (or rather in some cases, just the ones they have data for, and inore the rest!) and divide that by 240 and decide that a fuse should be available in that exact rating.... as well as stating that their know-how staff are 'engineers'.....

Model is hotpoint - hd5v92kcb

A quick google returns a site (Not Currys).. stating this oven has a max load of 9kw...
which if you do a Watts/Voltage to give current... (and still use the 240v value -vs- the official nominal '230v')

9000w/240v.... you do get the "magic" 37.5amp value!!!!!!!!!

I would guess the quoted 9.0kw takes no account of diversity?
also as a side note the installation guide also mentions a minimum cable CSA of 4.0mm..

32A and a 6.0mm cable is unlikely to present any problems...
HOWEVER that does assume that the cable integrity has not been damaged by any previous use..

A few quick continuity & insulation resistance test would easily verify that the supply is all good and electrically sound!

Ohh Boris where did that come from? Thinking CU and mixed MCB's

I do like @kerching idea of getting in touch with Curry’s and asking them where you can get such a fuse, that appealed to me.
Certain people on here would do that. They would also stand at the desk and in a very loud voice ask why they were selling items that , when reading the instructions , were not suitable for selling and/or installing in the UK

Latest posts