Induction cooker installation

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bobo

Reaction score
Hi All,
This is my first post. Thanks for letting me joining in.
I am going to replace my current electric hub for induction one. Now the question is: can I just connect my current wiring to the new induction hob? I am attaching photos of my fuse box, 45A cooker switch, and connection to my current cooker. I understand that if it requires wiring changes it needs to be done by electrician, but if it's only about connecting 3 wires, then I could easily do it myself (especially that Currys are charging £100 for installation).
The hob I want to buy is: https://www.currys.co.uk/products/b...ooker-black-and-silver-10243059.html#Electric

Thank you so much in advance

Attachments

• IMG_20231122_180456.jpg
    IMG_20231122_180456.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 7
  • IMG_20231122_180527.jpg
    IMG_20231122_180527.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 2
  • IMG_20231122_182608.jpg
    IMG_20231122_182608.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20231122_182714.jpg
    IMG_20231122_182714.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_20231122_182908.jpg
    IMG_20231122_182908.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_20231122_180913.jpg
    IMG_20231122_180913.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20231123_142545.jpg
    IMG_20231123_142545.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20231123_143514.jpg
    IMG_20231123_143514.jpg
    402.9 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_20231123_161455.jpg
    IMG_20231123_161455.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20231123_205528.jpg
    IMG_20231123_205528.jpg
    464.6 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
I'm intrigued by the tape on the main fuse. I think you need to contact your local DNO to report a potentially dangerous fuse carrier - it won't cost you anything to do so, or any repairs.

Thanks for your replies all. I agree my wiring and fuse box are ancient, but the question is will currys guys change it for those £100 they want to charge, or if they see my current wiring meets their expectations, will they just connect 3 wires to the new cooker (that I could do myself).
Also what is the average cost of CU change?
Manu thanks

Hi All,
but if it's only about connecting 3 wires, then I could easily do it myself (especially that Currys are charging £100 for installation).

As you quite rightly say it is very easy to join three wires...
BUT... electrical work is NOT about making something work...!

The more complicated bit is ensuring that any electrical alteration, addition or replacement will disconnect the supply fast enough in the event of a fault to ensure no people, property or livestock are endangered or injured.

The condition and integrity of incoming supply and earthing arrangements, protective bonding conductors. Continuity of circuit protective conductors, Polarity, Insulation resistance, Earth loop impedance, RCD operating times, Compliance with current wiring regulations etc.. are all items that are in the mind of a competent electrician whilst undertaking any electrical job..

The joining of three wires bit is a very small part of the considerations and certainly not the only thing needed to do be done to connect something safely.

Whilst keeping in mind that generally electricity cannot be seen, smelt, heard.. But it can kill a healthy adult in less that half a second!!

As I see it your key points to consider are...
[a] DIY electrical work is still legally permitted... So if you want to do it yourself...
Good luck.. (But I would not recommend you do).

(b) Any person doing electrical work for monetary gain as a business, will legally come under statutory Health & Safety at Work legislation. Which will use BS7671 wiring regs as guidance to ensure that all electrical work is undertaken to appropriate standards..

[c] Omitting to follow BS761 wiring reg's guidance could leave a professional business open to prosecution in the event that someone is injured following their work!!

[d] Hence I would be "Very Surprised" if Curry's would consider connecting a new appliance onto your existing installation?

[e] From the photo's you posted it would appear that your installation has had a few years of neglect from an electrical maintenance perspective... e.g. NO periodic electrical inspections.. very old and outdated consumer unit..

[f] If you were my customer I would probably walk away unless you were willing to pay me probably more than the cost of the oven.. (Possibly double the cost of the oven), to sort a few things out!

[g] On a POSITIVE note... welcome to the forum and a great opening post where you lay out your question with various useful photos to put your question into perspective.. (Historically we have often had opening posts where a lot of significant important information is omitted!) So well done and great first post.. I just hope some of our replies have been helpful???(y) 🍺 🍻

Last edited:
I contacted them and their main requirement is 13amp cooker switch. They will be asking questions before they arrive.

Thank you guys. I am a bit shocked reading this tbh, because I would never have thought about that. When I bought a house I trusted this should be picked up by the surveyor (?), same my meter was changed couple of years ago and it would be nice if the the guy installing it at least mentioned what you're telling me now.
Would anyone be able to give me the average cost of the work required (from - to)?
thanks

surveyor is not an electrician

meter monkey is often not an electrician either, their entire training is 'remove fuse, remove 4 wires, put 4 wires back in. try and get them in the same order, refit fuse'

best find a local sparky and get them to do en EICR, thatll tell you the condition of the wiring and what needs to be done. by the looks of it, its had nothing done since 80's / early 90's

Surveyors usually use stock phrases like electrics should be tested by a registered electrician.

I suspect the cooker cable us safe to reuse, but you really could do with updating and inspection. Costs will vary a lot with region of the country you are in, for a small board like that, and testing I would say £500, provided no other faults are found. I would suggest getting a larger board fitted, so if you have any plans to add sockets / generally redeveloped the property, you can split existing circuits down to cover smaller areas of the house. Eg upstairs and downstairs sockets, etc.

Last edited:
Thank you guys. I am a bit shocked reading this tbh, because I would never have thought about that. When I bought a house I trusted this should be picked up by the surveyor (?), same my meter was changed couple of years ago and it would be nice if the the guy installing it at least mentioned what you're telling me now.
Would anyone be able to give me the average cost of the work required (from - to)?
thanks

As with many jobs there is "more than one way to skin a cat".. and with domestic consumer units different makes and configurations can all provide an up-to-date solution to provide a safer installation compliant with current wiring regs.

Many manufactures provide off-the-shelf, fully or partially equipped, consumer units which can be cheaper than buying individual components to configure your own bespoke arrangement.

Typically for an average domestic consumer unit I would provide a surge protection device and individual RCBO's for each circuit.
RCBO's provide overload protection, and earth leakage, (shock), protection. Currently you only have MCB's offering overload protection.

Unless you have an additional second board, your photos show you only have four circuits?

So as a starting rough price guide: A 6 circuit ready equipped consumer unit with RCBO's & surge protection,
can be purchased from Screwfix for currently £153 (was £167)
https://www.screwfix.com/p/british-...ated-main-switch-consumer-unit-with-spd/763pg
There may well be some smaller and cheaper options available that I haven't checked for...
But it gives you a refence cost to consider.

Replacing a CU typically involves tidying, and/or extending circuit cables, uprating supply tails and bonding if it needs updating, so there would normally a few more material cost on top of the CU itself.

A competent electrician would typically replaced a CU and test wiring, issue electrical certificate and Part-P building regs compliance notification for a days labour.. which depending upon where you are, excluding London could typically be £250->£350.

Basically as Binky suggested around the £500 +/- a few quid mark.

As with many jobs there is "more than one way to skin a cat".. and with domestic consumer units different makes and configurations can all provide an up-to-date solution to provide a safer installation compliant with current wiring regs.

Many manufactures provide off-the-shelf, fully or partially equipped, consumer units which can be cheaper than buying individual components to configure your own bespoke arrangement.

Typically for an average domestic consumer unit I would provide a surge protection device and individual RCBO's for each circuit.
RCBO's provide overload protection, and earth leakage, (shock), protection. Currently you only have MCB's offering overload protection.

Unless you have an additional second board, your photos show you only have four circuits?

So as a starting rough price guide: A 6 circuit ready equipped consumer unit with RCBO's & surge protection,
can be purchased from Screwfix for currently £153 (was £167)
https://www.screwfix.com/p/british-...ated-main-switch-consumer-unit-with-spd/763pg
There may well be some smaller and cheaper options available that I haven't checked for...
But it gives you a refence cost to consider.

Replacing a CU typically involves tidying, and/or extending circuit cables, uprating supply tails and bonding if it needs updating, so there would normally a few more material cost on top of the CU itself.

A competent electrician would typically replaced a CU and test wiring, issue electrical certificate and Part-P building regs compliance notification for a days labour.. which depending upon where you are, excluding London could typically be £250->£350.

Basically as Binky suggested around the £500 +/- a few quid mark.
Thank you so much for that clear explanation and giving an approx price. I'm glad I asked the question on the forum otherwise I wouldn't even know where I am.
Thanks all

Hi All, glad I created this post otherwise I would have no idea I live on the ticking bomb.

Just to confirm, I booked an electrician For rewiring and connecting the new cooker. He confirmed your opinions about my fusebox etc. I already bought the unit suggested by @SPECIAL LOCATION .

Thank you