Core Cutters

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
they will og through brick but not very fast, unless the brick is fairly soft

if you install fans, then well worth getting one

you not supposed to use them on hammer, but they often go through better if you do

if I have core holes to drill nowadays I simply tell the builder to sort it, otherwise I add more on and get someone in to do it for me,

Ive had both my wrists/hands/arms broken too many times, not due to core drilling I might add, but i just dont want to take the chance of them being up to it these days.

I watched a massive Lithuanian plumber nearly break his wrist cutting a hole just after he had thrown the massive old boiler out of a 2nd floor window. 

Fair play If I didn't have to do it I wouldn't.

How much to pay some to do it?

Always hired 

Last edited by a moderator:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Makita-8406-DIAMOND-CORE-Drill-Rotary-Percussion-240V-10-Piece-Core-Set-Case-/310383281060?pt=UK_Home_Garden_PowerTools_SM&hash=item48444903a4

Just ordered this for work :D

Doubt the cutters will last long tho.

^^^ exactly why I ordered that. no broken limbs for me!!! ROTFWL
We have exactly that drill for core cutting although only paid about half that on a special. Loads of torque & power. We have had cheap & expensive core blades and they all seem about the same.

I used my SDS with a core set for about 18months.  I thought it was just the way to do it.  I wrecked the clutch on my drill, and since buying a proper core drill It has cut the drilling time down from about 30mins to 1hr, to about 2mins to 15mins.

True story.

As others have said SDS is not good for core cutting. I have a proper core drill but generally use my Hilti drill for core cutting as you can change the chuck. You will find if you use an sds end when it jams it will bend very quickly.

There are two types of core drill cutters, diamond and tungsten. Diamond should not be used with a SDS & Tungsten  should.
Nice to see screwfix don't think the same the link for the mentioned cutters is diamond and comes with a sds adaptor probably y there so cheap

I bought that makita drill, to be used for NOTHING apart from coring - it is kept with the core drill box. 

`Pache - you`re correct about the clutch - I`ve only ever cored with a clutchless machine once ( an old K-taper Kango).......never again!

Similarly, the other info is correct - never on hammer, not with an SDS plus chuck ( apparently SDS-max isn`t as prone to issues), and let it go at its own speed through the wall - don`t force it; no matter how slows it seems.

( I`ve been 45 mins, coring the outer skin of a brick house - engineering bricks are damned hard)

Most of the jobs I do are new and the bricks are still wringing wet so they do take a long while to cut. I generally have to break the bricks out as I go through otherwise they just jam. I really like it on existing jobs as the core bit flies through.

Most of the jobs I do are new and the bricks are still wringing wet so they do take a long while to cut. I generally have to break the bricks out as I go through otherwise they just jam. I really like it on existing jobs as the core bit flies through.
confused.com

generally find that once they have been up a while they get harder, well, breeze blocks do anyway,

then again, wet brick is terrible to drill too as it just keeps clogging,

rocks and hard places, you need to find that one day its ideal.........

That was what I was saying steps with the new builds bricks/ blocks are wet so clog. I find diamond cores will cut through most things easy in fact the harder the better as long as what you cut through is dry the cores have no trouble. Haven't tried engineering bricks though.

Latest posts